Runners, I need your advice! Preparing for a half marathon?

Options
Realistically, how long does it take to prepare for a half marathon (13 miles)? I have fallen in love with running, and while I am just a beginner, I want a goal to challenge myself. There is a half-marathon in February that I would love to do, I am just not sure if realistically I can be ready by then. Thoughts?

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    do it. you'll be surprised how well you do if you're already a runner.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    What is your current base mileage?
    You definitely have enough time to train between now and then!
    Pick a training plan and stick with it! Good luck.
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just registered for my first half marathon too (Pittsburgh marathon in May). I have never run anything farther than a 10k, so I have a lot of work to do
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    If you're not opposed to winter outdoor running, and/or treadmill running, you can DEFINITELY be ready by February!

I started seriously running in April (I had been running off and on for years, but never training for anything), and set my goal race as a half-marathon in October. I didn't need NEARLY as much time as I had anticipated to prepare, and I've been ready since about August to run that 21.1 km distance. Now I've changed my plan, and I'm going to be running my original half-marathon on Oct. 23rd, and a full marathon in December. You can CERTAINLY be ready for a half-marathon in five months. I'd be willing to bet that if you're strict with your training, you can be ready in four! :) Good luck, and enjoy!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    If you are already running I'd say Feb is a realistic goal. I used a 12 week program for my first and felt great on race day. Giving yourself a little more than 12 weeks will allow for any 'unscheduled' things that may pop up....for example, the holidays may get hectic and your training plan may need to be tweaked accordingly. Google Hal Higdon's half training plans and you can print which one works best for your level (novice, intermediate, etc). Also, don't feel like the plan is the be all end all...feel free to move around what you need to in order to make it work with your lifestyle. Good luck and have fun!!
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Do it! That's a great goal. Hal Higdon has bunch of great training plans, the novice one only takes 12 weeks assuming you can already run 3-4 miles (see http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm ) Even if you aren't quite there, you can definitely get there in a month.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have been training for mine for the last 3 months. I think you can do it by Feb!
  • allyfry
    allyfry Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you can run 3-4 miles comfortably then you'll do great. Find a training plan and build mileage by February. I usually only build to 10 miles, after that you're running on adrenaline. For the first time I recommend focusing on finishing, it will be an awesome experience.
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If you are already running I'd say Feb is a realistic goal. I used a 12 week program for my first and felt great on race day. Giving yourself a little more than 12 weeks will allow for any 'unscheduled' things that may pop up....for example, the holidays may get hectic and your training plan may need to be tweaked accordingly. Google Hal Higdon's half training plans and you can print which one works best for your level (novice, intermediate, etc). Also, don't feel like the plan is the be all end all...feel free to move around what you need to in order to make it work with your lifestyle. Good luck and have fun!!

Great minds think alike! To follow up on this, I frequently take training plans and stretch them out a little longer than usual so that I have some flexibility. That way if something comes up on a weekend when I'm scheduled to run a longer run, I can just do the longer run the next weekend without throwing off the whole routine.
  • dk_runs
    dk_runs Posts: 106
    Options
    I am all about training plans. Someone on this thread already mentioned that. Find one for a beginner and stick with it! You'll be good to go in Feb :happy:
  • lemonbug
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

Just a few things...I am only running around 3 miles, every other day, and taking breaks to speed walk in between as I build up my endurance. I have only been running a few weeks and already found that it is getting easier, and I can run for longer each time.

The half-marathon is the middle of Feb, in DISNEY! :) I live about an hour north of Orlando, so our Winter months are much milder here in Florida.

I am going to try out the Hal Higdon plan and see how that works for me.

Thanks for everyone's advice. A year ago you would never catch me running, and now I LOVE IT!!
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You do have plenty of time, despite walk/running 3 miles currently you'll be surprised how fast you improve!

Good luck!
  • lemonbug
    Options
    Yea, I have already been really surprised by how quickly my body is adapting to running! I used to barely be able to run from one light post to another, but now I just keep pushing myself and am surprised by how easy it is becoming.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

Just a few things...I am only running around 3 miles, every other day, and taking breaks to speed walk in between as I build up my endurance. I have only been running a few weeks and already found that it is getting easier, and I can run for longer each time.

The half-marathon is the middle of Feb, in DISNEY! :) I live about an hour north of Orlando, so our Winter months are much milder here in Florida.

I am going to try out the Hal Higdon plan and see how that works for me.

Thanks for everyone's advice. A year ago you would never catch me running, and now I LOVE IT!!
    From the sounds of it - your current mileage, training and motivation - you can be ready for Feb no problem!

I used HH for all my training throughout 2010 and 2011 and loved his programs, but found that when I tried to follow the Intermediate 1/2 Marathon program there was just way too much running vs. other cardio and strength and I ended up suffering from some really awful running injuries that could have been avoided. Stick to 3-4 days of running per week and make sure you include other diverse forms of training - strength, stretch (yoga is great), and good cardio like spinning, step or swimming. Make use of your full set of muscle groups and maintain some semblance of balance while you're training hard.

If you'd like some extra support or motivation, add me! :bigsmile: I'm always lurking around... haha
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options

From the sounds of it - your current mileage, training and motivation - you can be ready for Feb no problem!

I used HH for all my training throughout 2010 and 2011 and loved his programs, but found that when I tried to follow the Intermediate 1/2 Marathon program there was just way too much running vs. other cardio and strength and I ended up suffering from some really awful running injuries that could have been avoided. Stick to 3-4 days of running per week and make sure you include other diverse forms of training - strength, stretch (yoga is great), and good cardio like spinning, step or swimming. Make use of your full set of muscle groups and maintain some semblance of balance while you're training hard.

If you'd like some extra support or motivation, add me! :bigsmile: I'm always lurking around... haha

I'm about halfway through the HH intermediate program and I'm wondering if it is in fact, too much running. I kinda miss spinning and have been sneaking it in about every other week in lieu of an "easy run". But I LOVE running and have to FORCE myself to do the strength training.

Any tips on making strength training fun for a runner?
  • ekball
    ekball Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a run/walk thing already, try googling "Jeff Galloway". A very gentle way to run a 1/2, and beyond.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    3 miles every other day is a good place to start - I have been running since January, and am now training for a half in February.
    I've been looking at lots of different plans and I think I've decided to go with one of the HM plans from Runkeeper - the first week consists of 3 x 3 mile runs and it builds up from there over 16 weeks, so you have enough time if you are committed to the training. Be aware though that it is quite a comittment, the longer runs do take quite a chunk of time, especially if you are a slow runner like me!
    Good luck!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options

I'm about halfway through the HH intermediate program and I'm wondering if it is in fact, too much running. I kinda miss spinning and have been sneaking it in about every other week in lieu of an "easy run". But I LOVE running and have to FORCE myself to do the strength training.

Any tips on making strength training fun for a runner?
    I did body weight circuits weaved into my runs... I did a modified circuit in 3 local parks. My Thursday workout, for instance, looked something like:

Run 1 mile to Park A
    Circuit - squats, push-ups, walking lunges, crunches, step-ups, dips, planks and jumping jacks (no rest in between)
    Run 1 mile to Park B
    Circuit - prisoner squats, push-ups, walking lunges, crunches, step-ups, dips, planks and jumping jacks (no rest)
    Run 1 mile to Park C
    Circuit - same, but with some other variation of squats usaully
    Run/jog/walk home

Great workout :bigsmile: And if you're not tired, you're doing it wrong!