What to make with sweet potatoes?

Options
jackiejax1981
jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
I forgot I bought them but I don't know what goes good with them!

Replies

• raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Bake them! Just poke lots of holes in them, put them on a cookie sheet, bake them like a potato.

So good... you really won't miss "toppings"... and so very healthy! :happy:
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I bake mine or cube them an boil them, try with some I cant believe its not butter spray some splenda and cinnamon....yummmy!
  • Tacosmamma
    Tacosmamma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I make them with turkey burgers and mixed veggies or chicken and mixed veggies
  • Tacosmamma
    Tacosmamma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I bake mine or cube them an boil them, try with some I cant believe its not butter spray some splenda and cinnamon....yummmy!

I use butter buds and cinnamon sugar on them!
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I like to cube them (along with some red potatoes, celery, and carrots). Put in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil (not very much). Sprinkle with salt/pepper and bake. SOOOO good. I sometimes put Al Fresco Chicken Sausage (sweet italian style) on top.
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I peel and cut them into steak fries or regular fries, put them in a bag and add a tiny bit of oil, ground black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper, shake, and then put them one layer thick on a baking pan. Put in oven for 20 minutes at about 400F, turning at the 10 minute mark. TASTY! (and spicy!)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    put them in foil in the oven and bake

put them in the microwave and blast em

cube them up and boil them in water on stovetop, eat as cubes OR mash!

I love sweet potatoes.. you can do anything to them you'd do to a regular potato!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Plain ol butter and garlic salt....or low fat cottage cheese on it!

You can add to any meat as a side/ veggie!

Love them....had one for supper tonite!
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Prepare them as you would mashed potatoes... mmmm!
  • Danilindsmom
    Danilindsmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes with Splenda and spray butter. Just bake them like a regular potato.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Bake them! Just poke lots of holes in them, put them on a cookie sheet, bake them like a potato.

So good... you really won't miss "toppings"... and so very healthy! :happy:

I agree with this - just bake them in the jacket - they go all mushy and sweet - and you really dont need all the other "trappings" on them - they are gorgeous just like that....

You can also make mash, oven chips etc with them - gorgeous....
  • MrsOMG
    MrsOMG Posts: 84
    Options
    Cube and boil serve with wilted spinach, low fat goats cheese, red onion and raw garlic and a splash of good quality olive oil.
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    SWEET POTATOE FRIESSSSSS
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do a meat free Sweet Potato Chilli. I just use a jar of ready made chilli (usually uncle bens extra hot) and roast the sweet potato like a normal potato then add red onion and red pepper to the chilli sauce and serve with brown rice. Its delicious and only around 400 cals!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I cut mine into chips and put them in oven with one of those fish (unbattered) in a bag that cooks with all the herbs etc... do green beans or something for a healthier version of fish and chips with mushy peas.. lol!
  • bmw1102
    Options
    You can mash them and serve with fish, yummy!!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Like so many others I baked them, but I put cinnamon on mine.
    You could make turkey to go with them, like on Thanksgiving-just don't candy them up so they remain healthy.
  • charlesalvear
    charlesalvear Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas in this post everyone! My nutritionist suggested I add some sweet potatoes to my meal plan. The last time I tried to bake them they didn't come out so great. I will try again thanks to this post!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I love them roasted. I cube them or slice them like fries then toss with a little oil. I add cinnamon. Then roast at 425 for 25 mins or so. So good! I also make mashed sweet potatoes and add a little maple syrup and orange juice. I am making that for Thanksgiving. So good!