feeling ill after running

Options
Does anyone else get this.

I didnt used to, but now i find if i do a long run, my whole body feels achy afterwards and i feel fatigued and a bit ill. Im normally ok under about 10 miles, but if i go over that i feel crap for pretty much the rest of the day. Id understand if it was just my legs that were achy, but its not.

Im not on calorie restriction, im on maintenance, and i try and keep my nutrition fairly decent. A lot of the time recently i feel achy when im running too. Today i did 10 miles which is normally ok for me, and i was ok until about an hour after i came back , then it all came on.

I dont know whats going on really. I think i do all the stuff im supposed to do

Replies

• Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Anything over 8 miles, I gotta fuel WHILE on the run!! Whether that means Gatorade, gels, or even a Fig Newton or something. Your body is starving for energy, you need to fuel during your runs!
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    a girl at work ran an Iron man and got sick for a few days about a week or so after her run/ride/swim and I guess a dr. said it was due in part to all the lactic acid in her system (I have no idea....just what I heard).

I think you would need to fuel also.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Are you fueling during your long runs? If not, you may want to start adding it to those longer runs. Start taking in fuel at the 45 minute mark, and every 20-30 minutes after.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Fuel during the run will make the difference, you could be just dehydrated but I'd bet you need something like Gu or the power blocks from Cliff Bar etc.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    a girl at work ran an Iron man and got sick for a few days about a week or so after her run/ride/swim and I guess a dr. said it was due in part to all the lactic acid in her system (I have no idea....just what I heard).

I think you would need to fuel also.

A 12 hour event is a far cry different than a mere 10+ mile run. What the body goes through in an Ironman event can't be compared to any runs less than an Ultra.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking plenty of water.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I ended up having to go to the dr. for blurry vision yesterday it lasted on and off for like two hours followed by an extreme headache. The Dr. I saw had numerous friends that were marathon runners and he was saying that when you start adding mileage you are going to experence alot of different issues with the body. I was even drinking water and still dehydrated... I think Drinking vitamin water or g2 may be an option for me and like you said on Monday I ran 10 miles and was fine, Wed, I ran 8 (even ate more before this run) and was fine until I quit then the blurry vision came followed by the headache. I'm not really sure what I was doing wrong either if anything. Maybe we just aren't hydrating enough, you think?
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    ive been drinking rehydration drinks the last couple of runs instead of water as i wondered if that would help and i did take a few wine gums with me today for the last bit. I didnt actually feel like i needed fuel at the time today, I had energy even at the end. I would have gone for longer if i didnt have to go out and get the kids.
    I ate well in the morning before my run, and i ate as soon as i got back too
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    im trying to keep my fluids up as much as i can, and im trying to eat lots of carbs this week, and i did feel better for it during my actual run today, and i thought id found the answer, but then as i said, an hour or so later, bleugh, i feel crap
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i might try taking a gel with me. Its a shame theyre so disgusting
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    that must have been scary RA x
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    anymore suggestions as to what it might be?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I used to get bad headaches and being really wiped out after long runs (once I started going over 10k it got worse) but I think that was not drinking enough water... but that doesn't sound like your problem.

Maybe it is that you need some extra some energy along the way - I started eating jelly beans every 4km or so to give myself a little sugar hit. I'm not sure if I actually need them but when I have these plus water I seem to do OK.
    I would definitely try adding in some nutrition - if you don't like the gels try jelly beans - I buy them from the chemist and they work pretty well. I'm trying to cut out processed sugars though so I'm going to experiement with sultanas for my run tomorrow - they're almost all sugar so I'm hoping they will do the trick.
    Oh and I remember recently someone recommended chocolate coated coffee beans - that I will have to try someday!
  • alexfaty
    Options
    Yes if do I dont eat some carbs and protein before a long one, this year I have taken to spelt bread with nutella! but only because I love bread and nutella and have taken it out of my normal diet but over the past few months I have done over a dozen 15plus runs and 2 18plus and I have been really good on all off them! I am sure its all in the fuel!

My my pre marathon breakfast is always bacon and egg with toast about 4 hours before and another bit of toast an hour before.
    During my long runs I drink Maxium - last year at Beachy Head Marathon for some reason I couldn't eat on the way round my tummy just couldn't take it but I drank Maxium all the way round and I was fine, it really proved to me that it works for me. I also use Cliff shot blocks - mainly because I hate the gels but they seam to be good and sometimes a mini mars bar is ok on a really long run.

It has taken 7 marathons to work out what works for me its only the last couple where I think I have got the fuel right. My only real advice is read what everyone tells you and then try what you fancy eating because everyone is so different and there is nothing than trying to eat something on a run that you dont like! - for example one of my friends always has spotted **** and custard before a marathon - mmmummmm not for me but it works really well for him!

Heres some links
    //www.clifbar.com/ - shot blocks
    http://www.maxim-nrg.com/products/energy+drink+electrolyte.ashx - its the powder one that I get on with
  • MKB83
    MKB83 Posts: 31
    Options
    Yeah I'd agree. When I used to run 20k, I'd eat carbs an hr before my run and then a gatorade mid run. I couldn't carry stuff so I just played around with strategically placing things on my run route! :)

But it definitely sounds like a lack of hydration/fuel
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I get the same, if I overdo it I get flu-like symptoms - tired, terrible headache, achy, a temperature and swollen glands - proper physical symptoms. It comes on a couple of hours after stopping and can carry on to the next day. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to overheating - the redder I go, the worse I feel. For me this means longer session have to be very, very easy - part of the reason I've never improved speed over distance - and hard sessions have to be very hard, short intervals.

Lots of proper cool down, recovery, hydration and nourishment helps but never completely makes it go away.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem, but it does seem to be fueling when running. I never feel like I need it but almonds on a long run make a noticeable difference in recovery.

I too hate gels and can only just tolerate energy drinks but have found adding electrolytes to water and taking either jelly beans, almonds or raisins on my run and eating them at 30 min intervals from 45 mins onwards helps.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    Maybe im still just not eating and drinking enough. Its hard to know because i dont log anymore, but i think its got worse the lower my weight has got. Ive been wondering all sorts of things like toxins being released from fat cells as i burn them? Sounds a bit mental I know.
    I reckon youre all right though, and when a run burns 800/1000 cals, and im already quite small so dont have a hell of a lot of reserves, i probably need to make sure im eating everything i burn back.