First week and I've lost five pounds!

Options
Thank you, MFP, for giving me easy tools to simplify monitoring my eating habits!

Replies

• basicliving
    Options
    Woo hoo! That's a great start!
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    congrats that is an awesome start :-)
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Great Start! The first week seems to melt off. Make sure you don't lose too much to fast because it tends to come back if you do. Keep up the great work!
  • JulieHume88
    JulieHume88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    wow thats great!!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Keep up the great work, and btw, I love the quote in your signature, made me smile :)
  • lambdafu
    lambdafu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for starting your journey. I don't want t o discourage you, seeing quick results is hopefully something that motivates you and keeps you going. However, you might bounce back very quickly, and I want to give you some information so that you are not discouraged by that. I started two weeks ago, lost 8 pounds very quickly, and gained 6 pounds back just as quickly, although I ate less and exercised harder in the second week than the first. So, let me explain why that is.

To gain one pound of body fat, you need to eat 3500 calories more than you burn over a period of time. You can't stuff it in all at once, so let's say 500 calories a day more than you need over a week. The reverse is also true: To lose one pound of fat, you need to eat 3500 calories less than you need over a period of time, let's say 500 calories less than you need every day for a week.

Now, you burn maybe 1500 calories a day (it varies from person to person, but for my purpose here, it doesn't matter). To lose 5 pounds of fat in one week, you would have to eat 5*500 = 2500 calories less than you need every day! That's impossible. You would be very unhappy by now if you tried to do that :)

So, what did you lose if not body fat? In all likelihood, it's water and solids from the bowel. Every day we drink and lose a lot of water, much more than food and fat. You can gain and lose a couple of pounds over the course of the day without even noticing.

So, in order to stay motivated, I would encourage you to not only look at the scale, but also take measurements, pictures, your posture, and anything else that changes while you are adopting a healthier life style! You might discover new kinds of food, or find out about muscles you didn't notice in a long time when you work them out :) Have fun, and enjoy the ride!
  • julienp24
    julienp24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great job, keep it up!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Everybody loses 5 lbs in the first week. After that, it's a slog. But a good slog.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!