Rant. Really?

Options
So I'm at work right now, and so happy that I get out at 630 because I'm extremely angry. I just found out that they record phone converstations of incoming calls. No, I'm not angry becaue I've had inappropriate conversations or have been rude to people on the phone, because I haven't. What I'm angry about is that I'm coming up on working at this place for two years now, and I'm just told in a hush hush way by the recreation director here....who says not to say anything to anyone. Tomorrow I start my part time job at Lord & Taylors...****ty job, but I'm a college student so it's good. I'm defintely going to stop working here as soon as I'm able to. The bosses here are so disrespectful and do not appreciate me. I'm aware that I'm a part-time worker, but at least have some form of morale here. Anyway. How would you feel if you were calling a facility for information about assisted living for your parents, and later found out that was recorded..and saved for at least two years. How creepy is that. Both parties; I and the people I've spoken with have not been aware of this. I'm disgusted.

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Do you work in telephone customer service? I could see them recording those calls for training and evauation purposes. But even then, you should have been made aware of it.
  • Tahoe77Chelle
    Tahoe77Chelle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If they record conversation they must, by law, notify you and notify the customers in most states.
  • Whatareherthings711
    Options
    Do you work in telephone customer service? I could see them recording those calls for training and evauation purposes. But even then, you should have been made aware of it.

I'm a receptionist. I would have obviously been okay with it, if I was made aware. But the fact that they treat employees and people who call in with the disrespect of not telling either party is what makes me angry.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I would be upset, too, if you were not notified.
  • Whatareherthings711
    Options
    If they record conversation they must, by law, notify you and notify the customers in most states.

I'm aware of that. I looked it up. When I stop working here, I'm definitely going to let them hear what I have to say.
  • Whatareherthings711
    Options
    I would be upset, too, if you were not notified.

Yeah, it's just odd.
  • cuddlyrunner
    cuddlyrunner Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I thought that by law you had to be advised if your telephone conversation was being recorded for any purpose???? I followed the Casey Anthony case and one of the witnesses recorded a conversation (Joe Jordan if I remember correctly) and had to negotiate with the Feds because he did it secretly.
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I believe it is illegal to record a conversation where BOTH parties are NOT informed..... That is what I learned from watching tv shows anyway!! : )
  • Whatareherthings711
    Options
    I believe it is illegal to record a conversation where BOTH parties are NOT informed..... That is what I learned from watching tv shows anyway!! : )

Yeah. It's definitely illegal. Karma is what I'm thinking though. If this is how they behave, then I'm sure they'll get theirs in some way.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Usually a pre-recording tells you that your phone call is being recorded for some specific purpose...that just seems sketchy not telling someone
  • Whatareherthings711
    Options
    I thought that by law you had to be advised if your telephone conversation was being recorded for any purpose???? I followed the Casey Anthony case and one of the witnesses recorded a conversation (Joe Jordan if I remember correctly) and had to negotiate with the Feds because he did it secretly.

Yup.!
  • Whatareherthings711
    Options
    Usually a pre-recording tells you that your phone call is being recorded for some specific purpose...that just seems sketchy not telling someone

there's no pre-recording. it's a small assisted living home with a capacity for 52 residents. it's very annoying to know that i work at a place that does this.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    Yep, I'm afraid they want to keep it hush hush because it is totally illegal .. I believe everywhere due to confidentiality laws. If I am not mistaken, if someone were to press charges against your establishment, where you are involved in a 'taped' confidential conversation, you can also be involved in the lawsuit...especially if there is proof that you knew about these 'secret' recordings.

I would check with your labour laws and confidentiality laws in your state or province to make sure you will not ever be held liable.
  • Whatareherthings711
    Options
    Yep, I'm afraid they want to keep it hush hush because it is totally illegal .. I believe everywhere due to confidentiality laws. If I am not mistaken, if someone were to press charges against your establishment, where you are involved in a 'taped' confidential conversation, you can also be involved in the lawsuit...especially if there is proof that you knew about these 'secret' recordings.

I would check with your labour laws and confidentiality laws in your state or province to make sure you will not ever be held liable.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do, but move on from this crazy workplace and let it be one of the many lessons I have and will learn in my worklife. This kind of stuff makes me less trusting.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options

Yeah. It's definitely illegal. Karma is what I'm thinking though. If this is how they behave, then I'm sure they'll get theirs in some way.

It's not necessarily illegal if.. one party is informed, or if its a company phone.
  • livnlite
    Options

It's not necessarily illegal if.. one party is informed, or if its a company phone.

If ONE party is informed? That's not even logical .. Company or no company phone doesn't make a difference .. The way I understand it is ... There is a reasonable assumption when talking to another in a reasonably confidential nature. Recorded messages or video taping even for security reasons are supposed to be fully disclosed...otherwise, you wouldn't hear of companies disclosing the fact like they always do.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options

If ONE party is informed? That's not even logical .. Company or no company phone doesn't make a difference .. The way I understand it is ... There is a reasonable assumption when talking to another in a reasonably confidential nature. Recorded messages or video taping even for security reasons are supposed to be fully disclosed...otherwise, you wouldn't hear of companies disclosing the fact like they always do.

Welcome to America!
  • livnlite
    Options

Welcome to America!

Are you telling me it's legal for a business to record telephone conversations without acknowledging it in the USA? Did I miss that memo?
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    No, it's not illegal if both parties aren't informed, it depends on the state. New Jersey is what they call a one party state, meaning only one party has to consent to the recording. I'm sure they slipped something into your employment paperwork about recording conversations. Also, if they put a tone on the phone every minute or two that also informs all parties involved that the calls are being recorded.
  • Whatareherthings711
    Options
    No, it's not illegal if both parties aren't informed, it depends on the state. New Jersey is what they call a one party state, meaning only one party has to consent to the recording. I'm sure they slipped something into your employment paperwork about recording conversations. Also, if they put a tone on the phone every minute or two that also informs all parties involved that the calls are being recorded.

no actually they didn't. i read it all