Stop treating yourself like a fish! ;)

Options
Dear MFPers,

Did we all start to grow gills and a fin?! I mean really! lol. Fish are the ones that belong on the scale..not humans! I think more of us need to go by how snug our pants are instead of focusing on what the scale reads, and then obsessing over it! I have been back on track for 2 weeks now, and I am refusing to weigh myself for a while to prove that the scale isn't the only way to judge my progress. Anyone else with me in banning the scale for a bit? ;D

Crystal

Replies

• ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Not sure I agree with this...
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    That would be SOOO hard to do!!!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    wait, I didn't weigh myself today!!!!
  • KarenHarper71
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a week, not as an obsession but to help me keep on track. Wednesday I weigh myself to see how I'm doing the Saturday is my true weigh in even if I've gained, it's the one I go by.
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't agree
  • MichaelSmith247
    MichaelSmith247 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The scale unless broke won't lie. Sometimes based on the design or cut of the clothing, it could be decieving . I'd have to disagree with this blog.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I agree with this in a sense because the scale is only 1 of the many tools to assess our health. The thing that a lot of people get frustrated with is starting a new exercise regimine and find that they may have gained weight. The problem here is they probably lost a few inches and are so focused on weight gained that they are distracted from the progress. Fat is not as lean as muscle. I'd only suggest to use a scale loosely as a tool and don't make that your only judge. Use a health measuring democracy if you will:)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself everyday, multiple times with the understanding that it fluctuates all day, etc. I wouldn't want to stop weighing myself because i have so much more weight to loose, it's the best indication that i am on track.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with this. Scales are for fish! Inches lost are way more important than pounds lost!
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    A super personal thing - agreed that clothes can tell you a lot...but for me I need the scale to tell me that I'm staying on track. Historically, in jags where I ignore the scale I do not hold myself accountable and really put on the pounds (or did not lose if I was in the midst of trying to lose).

I've been maintaining at or under goal since mid-June and I weigh myself at least every couple of days. I need to do this to know I am on track. When I was losing the weight, I weighed daily...but knowing that hormones, salt, etc. where factors. Weighing daily through the loss journey actually helped me learn a lot about the impact of different foods and my hormones, etc. to better understand my overall true weight. It also helped me as I was getting bodyfat % measured along the way - I could better understand how I was changing my overall composition of lean muscle to fat.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have already lost the weight but agree with you 100%. I didn't weigh myself at all when I first joined MFP and finally 6 months later I wanted to benchmark where I was to see what to do next--it was only then that I bought a scale. And it was only then that I started to obsess!! I never did when I was just using my pants as a guide.

Anyway, now on maintenance, I threw away all the bigger pants, so if my new ones do not fit anymore (not an option!), then I'll know what I need to do. But may check the scale once a month or so just to make sure my HRM settings are correct.

Good luck with everything--you'll do great this way!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I think sucess can be measured by the scale, by measurements, how clothes fit and how you feel. I agree over weighting yourself causes stress. But I'm not willing to go more than a week w/o weighing. I feel it helps to keep me on track. Good luck with your choice i hope you find sucess.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily to get an accurate calorie burn during workouts, but I can certainly tell more progress in the way my clothes fit, or don't fit. I've had to buy new clothes 3 different times since February! That tells me a whole lot more than a number on a scale.
    I think it's important to know how much you weigh, but not to obsess over it.
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with this. Scales are for fish! Inches lost are way more important than pounds lost!

FINALLLLY! Someone whom agrees with my logic! lol.
  • patti2852
    Options
    I don't own a scale, and I was weighing myself weekly with my weight club at work, but we finished in Sept and I changed jobs. So I don't weigh but i am thinking of getting a scale so I can weigh on a weekly basis or at least twice a month to keep on track. As for the pants, I have bag full of too bigs ready to go out the door to good will.:happy:
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Dear MFPers,

Did we all start to grow gills and a fin?! I mean really! lol. Fish are the ones that belong on the scale..not humans! I think more of us need to go by how snug our pants are instead of focusing on what the scale reads, and then obsessing over it! I have been back on track for 2 weeks now, and I am refusing to weigh myself for a while to prove that the scale isn't the only way to judge my progress. Anyone else with me in banning the scale for a bit? ;D

Crystal

Huh? Fish HAVE scales, but they don't belong on a scale...not sure I'm following...
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. The scale is not that important, and weight is just a number. I used to think I wanted to "weigh 135 lbs" and that was my goal. When I got here, I wasn't all that happy! I had lost the weight I wanted, but my body composition was off, I was still flabby. I've since GAINED a few lbs of muscle, so I'm closer to 140ish and I plan to keep on gaining. People at my office are still remarking that I'm shrinking! I'm losing body fat and gaining muscle, which makes me weigh more. I'm still getting "smaller" even though my weight is going up!

Once I realized this, I realized how silly it was to measure everything by a number. You could be 125lbs and skinny fat, and I'll look healthier with my lean muscle and heavier weight :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yup. I don't even own one. I completely don't see the point.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    The scale unless broke won't lie. Sometimes based on the design or cut of the clothing, it could be decieving . I'd have to disagree with this blog.

Actually you and everyone else that made this comment is not "correct". You don't have to agree, but you aren't right either.

If I weigh myself at 158, then chug the equivalent of one pound of water, I am going to "GAIN" 1 pound and weigh 159.

You "gained" weight, but you do not actually gain weight that you should be tracking.

Using the scale as a reference point if fine, but measurements and progress pictures are the true key.

In addition, I haven't hardly lost ANY weights, but my progress pictures are shocking and I'm loosing inches like crazy....
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Actually you and everyone else that made this comment is not "correct". You don't have to agree, but you aren't right either.

If I weigh myself at 158, then chug the equivalent of one pound of water, I am going to "GAIN" 1 pound and weigh 159.

You "gained" weight, but you do not actually gain weight that you should be tracking.

Using the scale as a reference point if fine, but measurements and progress pictures are the true key.

In addition, I haven't hardly lost ANY weights, but my progress pictures are shocking and I'm loosing inches like crazy....

Yes, also this ^^ :-)