Just fell in love with quinoa!

Options
I started a 2 week gluten free challenge on 9/27 and I have been getting so bored with my daily breakfast of greek yogurt. I have been seeing quinoa on my friends diaries and reading about it on posts but had never tried it. A friend gave me a bag to try so I cooked some this morning, let it cool and added some plain non-fat greek yogurt, a little honey, some fresh blueberries and bit of cinnamon with a pinch of ground ginger and OMG I am in love! Now my mind is racing with other ideas...greek olives, cherry tomatoes, scallions, feta cheese...who knows, I might just stay gluten free a little longer! Thanks MFP :love:

Replies

• janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    It is also great just by itself as a substitute for rice or pasta..

Love that little grain... :heart:
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    What a great idea to use quinoa for breakfast. I had always used it for salads for dinner or lunch.
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try quinoa for a while!

Lately I'm obsessed with barley. I love it!
  • readytostart1
    Options
    Hmmmmm ok I am always looking for new ideas to replace my love afair with pasta. Where can I find it?
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've made it by cooking it in almond milk and blueberries, and it ends up similar to oatmeal. The best part is you an make a whole pot of it and use it for breakfasts all week!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Not quite sure where in the grocery store since I have not purchased it myself yet but I am thinking maybe where you would find pasta or rice?
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm ok I am always looking for new ideas to replace my love afair with pasta. Where can I find it?

I have found it in the aisle with the rice and pasta. It comes in a box (where I get it) that looks sort of like speciallized rice. I've also heard you can buy by the pound in health stores, but the stuff in regular grocery stores is the same.

Good luck.
  • much2gain
    Options
    I've found it lots of places in grocery stores. Trader Joes: cheapest place to find it and with the rice. Regular grocery stores: with rice, or pasta, or (more common) the "health food" section. The most popular brand to find is "Bob's Red Mill" and there's usually a big section of various items for baking, oats, rices, soup mixes, etc. Look it up on the intranet for the package design and then you'll be sure to find it in your store.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with quinoa too!!

I make various quinoa 'risotto's' by adding a little extra stock/broth while cooking to get that risotto consistency then I add garlic, chopped onion and low fat cream cheese. then add roasted butternut squash & sage, or wild mushrooms & thyme, or chorizo and chicken, or brocoli and blue cheese.
  • czechsmate
    Options
    I'm in love with quinoa too!!

I make various quinoa 'risotto's' by adding a little extra stock/broth while cooking to get that risotto consistency then I add garlic, chopped onion and low fat cream cheese. then add roasted butternut squash & sage, or wild mushrooms & thyme, or chorizo and chicken, or brocoli and blue cheese.

bump bump bump...I will make this! Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Try spelt & bulgur too
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Try spelt & bulgur too

just remember those are not GF.
  • czechsmate
    Options
    Try spelt & bulgur too

Is the bulgur wheat? I don't think I have ever heard about spelt....can I have this if I am going gluten free?
  • emt_til28
    Options
    Trader Joes has a frozen quinoa that's mixed with veggies.................... I made it for the first time this week and it was really really good....plus it was pretty inexpensive.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I keep randomly seeing breakfast recipes using quinnoa. I shall have to try it.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has a frozen quinoa that's mixed with veggies.................... I made it for the first time this week and it was really really good....plus it was pretty inexpensive.
    Wow that sounds awesome, I need to see if my natural foods store has any.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Try spelt & bulgur too

just remember those are not GF.

Barley isn't gluten free either. Less amounts of gluten than wheat, but it's still in there.
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options

^^^^^^
    This is DELICIOUS!

Trader Joe's Quinoa Duo with Vegetable Melange
    Spices and veggies, quick to prep, 220 cals/cup 6g protein.

YUM. this is always in my freezer for a quick bite.

I also cook up a batch of quinoa and have it for breakfast...add flaxseed meal, bee pollen (sometimes), berries, honey, milk, it's a hearty breakfast that sticks!

I will have to try some of these other yummy ideas for dinner, thanks everyone!
    :happy:
  • czechsmate
    Options
    Loving this...even have my husband on board, lol. While I was out walking today he made a turkey meatloaf using quinoa instead of breadcrumbs....it was sooo delicious! Love you husband! :smooched:
  • djwomack
    Options
    It is actually a seed, not a grain. I am on the Primal Diet and cannot have grains.