Goofy pedometer....

Options
I got a new pedometer yesterday.... not a WAY expensive one. walked around the house last night and thought wow this thing is SOOO wrong. But then i counted with it and it was right. 26 steps from the kitchen to my bedroon. ok great

except......

When i went to walk this morning what I know by measurement is 5.1 miles only read 8000 steps?

WTH?

Help?

Replies

• wilkin_rebecca
    wilkin_rebecca Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, i bought one too started using it yesterday had gone out shopping and yet it measured only 82 steps i know it was way more than that, i was out for awhile. I kept it on all day and everytime i walked i looked at it and yet it hadn't moved. I think they are just another way to suck people out their money lol
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Your stride might be different when you are walking a long distance than when you just walk in the house. I know I take longer steps and go faster when I go out for a walk then just around the house... The average person takes 2000 steps in a mile, but that number does vary from person to person. It might be right.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds of pedometers out there. I started using the ones that came in the boxes of Special K a few years ago. You get what you pay for. Inaccurate little things.

Then this spring I bought one on sale at a sports equipment shop, list price was $30. It is very accurate. Made by sportsline. It counts steps, distance, calories, has a clock. It is very useful to monitor my daily activity. I may need to reset it as I loose weight, gain in fitness and my stride changes. But it is a real little monitoring machine.

If yours doesn`t work, bring it back, the way you would anything else that you buy that doesn`t work. Then get one that does. There is no excuse for spending money on something that is too cheap and badly made.
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    What is your stride set to and is it accurate?
  • jenocelot
    Options
    Omron, the model that comes with software so you can track your daily, weekly, monthly, yearly average and see it on graphs. So cool. i don't go anywhere without it! I avg 14,000 steps a day. The year I started it, 2009, my avg was 7,000. Measuring inspired me! My mile can be anywhere from 1000 to 1500 steps, depending whether running or walking, stop-start or continuous. The Omron is available on Amazon and was about $30.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    My ipod touch screen nano had one built in. Nike thing. Seems pretty accurate. Especially since it was "free" so to speak