Cant drink water and do cardio

Options
for some strange reason if i drink water, even just a sip, while doing any kind of cardio i get cramps on my sides. so i always have to guzzle down the water after i work out. i was wondering if any one else has this problem, or knows why it may be happening.

Replies

• cc8088
    cc8088 Posts: 41
    Options
    It's actually not good for you to drink during cardio! I drink about half a glass before and then drink more after!
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    eat a banana 30 minutes before working out and you should be ok
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    My mouth gets so dry, I just take sips of water every few minutes. I too noticed that if I drink a whole bunch my sides cramp up. Small sips seem to work reat.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Small sips here too.
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME problem. I can't drink water even an hour before I do cardio, and definitely not during, or else I'll get terrible cramps and have to stop. So, I drink a lot of water before hand during the day and make sure I stop about an hour before I go to the gym, or if you're doing cardio in the morning, drink a lot the night before....It's worked well for me, it sucks though. :/ I play soccer too, and I can't drink any water at half-time, or I wouldn't be able to play the second half. Not fair!
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    I stop drinking water about an hour and a half before cardio and just take tiny sips during or i would need to pee all the time.lol.
  • pinkakira1
    pinkakira1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much when I do cardio as well but not cause I cramp up I just feel like the water is getting all jiggled around and I feel like I don't get a good work out cause I am bouncing around. I do however take sips. When I am done and get cooled down is when I drink alot of water.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    It's actually not good for you to drink during cardio! I drink about half a glass before and then drink more after!

WHAT?! where on earth does that come from? I teach spin, cycle and do intense dance classes and rehearsals. If I didn't drink water during these activities I would pass out. I won't let anyone take my spin class without a bottle of water -- they NEED it.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you are doing a couple hours of cardio at a time (or more). Most people don't need to hydrate during a workout -- assuming they are getting plenty of fluids before and after.
  • happysongbird
    Options
    I have had trouble with both eating and drinking during exercise, but had to get myself used to it as my exercise load increased and I wanted to participate in races longer than 2 miles. One of the keys for me is to make sure that what I've eaten for a meal a couple of hours before exercise is easy for me to digest. For me that means hot cereal or bananas and juice in the morning. As for water, I just began taking small sips throughout the exercise. I can do this easier biking than running, but I couldn't have made it through my little triathlon without the water stations during the 5K run at the end. I also learned to keep going through side aches. Never could do that before.
  • TraceyDonna
    Options

WHAT?! where on earth does that come from? I teach spin, cycle and do intense dance classes and rehearsals. If I didn't drink water during these activities I would pass out. I won't let anyone take my spin class without a bottle of water -- they NEED it.

I agree! Im no teacher or expert, but I do work out and if I didnt at least sip at water I'd pass out or puke. Its not necessary to glug it back until you're swishing around, but just keep sipping at it slowly. Working out is meant to do you good, not make you feel like c**p.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I can't drink water during cardio either... I've tried and have gotten major cramps... I try to drink as much as I can about half hour before and a lot once I'm done.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    IDK, but personally if I drink any water during a jumping exercise or abs exercise, no joke, i throw it up, not majorly but the water does come back up... I also experience the side pains if I drink water during or right b4.
  • ReadyToLoseMoore
    ReadyToLoseMoore Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't get cramps, but I do get an upset stomach if I drink too much right before or during. I try to stay hydrated ALL DAY and then drink some after I work out to replenish the water loss.
  • lb7970
    lb7970 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree with Wadesha about eating a banana. Try drinking water up to 1/2 hour before your workout and chew some sugar free gum during your workout to keep from getting dry mouth.
  • lb7970
    lb7970 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree with Wadesha about eating a banana. Try drinking water up to 1/2 hour before your workout and chew some sugar free gum during your workout to keep from getting dry mouth.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I NEVER drink while exercising. Always hydrate before and after, but never during.
  • jkasperfit
    Options
    I had the same problem for a while. For me, it actually wasn't the water (although that would bring it on), it's lactate. Avoid dairy before you workout. My husband was in the fitness industry for years and this was a tip from one of his personal trainers.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options

the gym i go to you MUST have a bottle of water to even participate in spin.
  • docHelen
    docHelen Posts: 198
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you are doing a couple hours of cardio at a time (or more). Most people don't need to hydrate during a workout -- assuming they are getting plenty of fluids before and after.
    completely agree...water can be a distraction during a work out, so long as it is not a really long work out,