Need help or a distraction...

Options
I feel like I need a swift kick in the behind...I'm contemplating using something like hydroxycut or alli to push my weight loss to the next level. However, hydroxycut will make me jittery and probably cause insomnia, and alli is apparently recommended for people who are "overweight" on the BMI scale, which I am not. I need SOMETHING, it doesn't necessarily need to be a pill of some sort, but I need a "distraction" for lack of a better word. Does that make any sense, and does anyone have any recommendations?

Replies

• megalitz
    megalitz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need a swift kick in the behind...I'm contemplating using something like hydroxycut or alli to push my weight loss to the next level. However, hydroxycut will make me jittery and probably cause insomnia, and alli is apparently recommended for people who are "overweight" on the BMI scale, which I am not. I need SOMETHING, it doesn't necessarily need to be a pill of some sort, but I need a "distraction" for lack of a better word. Does that make any sense, and does anyone have any recommendations?
  • moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Options
    I have heard some really bad things about Alli regarding excretion. You have to be super careful with the amount of fat you eat, or else it literally will leak out of you. Read what MSN had to say: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19587389/
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    ok, i say don't worry so much about it not coming off quickly enough. it's more important to do it while being healthy. i saw quickly that you joined in jan and you've already lost 7 lbs. you're doing great! there's nothing wrong with that type of progress. so i would say be patient and keep working hard. don't resort to a quick fix solution. every time you feel like you want to step things up, go exercise more! but i say there's only one way to lose weight and that's the good 'ole fashioned: eat less and exercise more! :tongue:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    How about changing up your workout? Try out some new recipes. Eat a few more hundred calories than you normally do for a few days, then resume your recommended intake. Think about how far you've come. There were days that you didn't feel like sticking with your plan, but you did and you're seeing results! Hang in there. You're losing and you don't need a pill to help with that.

I usually run on the treadmill, but today I did the Firm cardio sculpt and my stationary bike for a bit. It helped change it up on a day when I definitely wasn't going to go on the treadmill.

GL! :flowerforyou:
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have heard some really bad things about Alli regarding excretion. You have to be super careful with the amount of fat you eat, or else it literally will leak out of you. Read what MSN had to say: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19587389/

Very true. I am not overweight on the scale either, but I tried Alli. I don't eat all that much fat in my diet, and I only took the pill with meals that had fat in it. And seriously, it's like....oil seeping out of your bootie. Pretty gross. If anything, I would say only one pill every other day...or there could be issues.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend taking any of those things. But how about a distraction. If you are busy and active it will help you not think about it near as much. I read in your profile that you love soccer. Isn't soccer season coming up? How about volunteering as a soccer coach for a kids league. It would definately change your mindset away from that and keep you busy. Plus the kids and you could really enjoy it.

Just a thought. But for me if I am busier I think less about what sounds good and more about the things necesary to get my day completed on a positive note.

Good luck:bigsmile:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I used hydroxycut about 8 years ago and I don't know if I wasn't drinking enough water while taking it but it totally messed up my lips. I ended up with severe dry lips and had to use cortisone to help reduce the dryness. 8 years later, I still have to make sure I'm wearing lip gloss or chap stick at all times otherwise it comes back.
    Stay strong and try to stay away from these "miracle" pills. Personally, I don't think they work and they have many side effects.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    ........However, hydroxycut will make me jittery and probably cause insomnia, and alli is apparently recommended for people who are "overweight" on the BMI scale, which I am not...............Does that make any sense, and does anyone have any recommendations?

If you are not "overweight" on the BMI scale, then you don't have much weight to lose. Any "pills" are dangerous. Why can you not lose a few pounds by eating well and exercising? Have you tried that?

Everything you need is here.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I imagine this is frustration peeking out megalitz.

I checked your profile and it looks like you have a very small amount to loose. I have no idea what you are doing to achieve this. So I can't really help. Can you give us your routine, calories, and statistics so we can go over it with you?
    something like this

Weight, height, activity level, current exercise regiment, daily caloric intake (average)

I can tell you right now that you don't need artifical help to get there. You may need advice but you CAN get there on your own, and I'll bet when you do you'll feel so much better about it if you did it on your own.:wink:
  • laxgirl
    Options
    You could try joining a sports team or an exercise group. The personal motivation of being part of a group could help motivate you to push it to the limit. I know in my area there're a lot of adult teams like crew and tennis and soccer, so I'm sure there are a few hidden gems in your neck of the woods. Hope this helps!
  • megalitz
    Options
    thanks guys, i appreciate it. you have deterred me from taking any pills, thanks! the problem is that i have played soccer since i was 3, i played on a scholarship to a division one school, and have played so much that i have destroyed all the ligaments in my ankles, and can no longer play without surgery. im working on surgery, but its $20k an ankle, so i haven't done it yet. :) i am sickly addicted to soccer, and have tried to find replacements but nothing works. i do several group exercise classes, i box regularly, and am an exercise fanatic. i eat incredibly healthy, which is why it is much harder for me to lose weight than people who have eaten mcdonalds all their lives. all they have to do is throw an apple into the mix and they lose weight. its not so easy for someone who is already doing all of the right things. im out of "right" things to do!! and frustrated! my situation is very hard to explain. *sigh*
  • banks1850
    Options
    Not really sure what to tell you meg. I CAN tell you that I understand the sports addiction. I played football up through college (15 years then switched to rugby for 5 years) and destroyed both my knees and my shoulders (throw in a ton of broken noses, fingers, ribs, and about 5 hip pointers, and a completely torn trapizeous muscle and you have my career). Luckilly you don't need a ton of knees to pitch in baseball.

I'll stress that it's tough to offer any advice if we don't know your statistics (see my earlier post). It could simply be that for your body type and height and age, you are where you should be and your body is resisting loosing more weight, I don't know, but it's possible. If you are working hard and eating right, then maybe you should go see a nutritionist and/or a trainer to help. Sounds like you are really looking for very small tweaks to get the last little bit off, and sometime that takes some very specific work that is taylored to you. Without any more info, that's probably the only thing I can tell you.
  • megalitz
    Options
    thank you! yeah, the sports thing is hard. it would take me all day to post my specifics... my daily caloric intake goal is 1200. during the week i am right around 1200, after you count everything ive eaten and subtracted the calories i have burned through exercise. i usually burn anywhere from 600-1000 calories during one workout. so one would THINK i would lose weight. :) but i am 5'10", 155 lbs right now. in that profile pic i was somewhere around 149 lbs. These last 6 lbs are tough to lose!
  • banks1850
    Options
    well there's the problem. your eating WAAAAAAY to few calories. you should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1800 calories AFTER you subtract your workout. I.E. your BMR right now is around 1550 cals. if you add 600 for exercise, to just MEET the mininmum number your body needs to function normally you should be eating about 2150 with exercise as a bare minimum.

I would definately add about 800 or 1000 calories to your daily consumption. Right now I would bet the bank that your body is STARVING and not allowing you to loose any weight.
  • megalitz
    Options
    thats what the site told me to eat! 1200!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    1200 if you don't exercise. You have to eat the extra calories they give you after you exercise.
  • nicole0177
    Options
    IK exactly how you feel i have tried hydroxy cut but that just made me sick!! and lately i have contimplating using the new slimquick with hoodia for women. because its suppose to work with womens hormones and stress all that junk!!! but idk if it will work!!!!
  • banks1850
    Options
    You have to ask yourself, "is it working?" I mean, your eating healthy and exercising but not loosing, so there is really only one explanation, your body is hanging on for dear life to every excess calorie it can get. Give it a few hundred more, give it a few weeks to adjust to this, and I'll bet you it starts to work for you again. Worst case is it doesn't change, you definately won't gain weight, so you might as well give it a shot. I have a pretty strong notion that it will work for you.
  • megalitz
    Options
    yeah...ill give it a go. the problem is i gain weight really easily as well. so if i eat an extra couple hundred cals, it usually shows immediately. but we shall see. i think i might have gotten over the hump, but who knows. :)
  • banks1850
    Options
    Crossing my fingers for you.:wink: