Best area of USA for outdoor activities

Options
farmgirlsuz
farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
OK pals-

In a few short years I would like to move to a more outdoor activity friendly area. My requirements include but are not limited to:

1. Not too rural. I grew up on a farm but I need the excitement that a metropolitan area can provide.
2. Must have tons of outdoor activities available such as walking, jogging, biking, hiking trails, water for kayaking, canoeing, boating, swimming.
3. No dramatic climates! I do enjoy the change of seasons and some snow once in a while but the 20 below temperatures for weeks at a time in Iowa are getting a little tiresome! Also, I don't really enjoy 100 plus temperatures with 70% humidity either!
4. MUST be scenic!
5. The b/f requests that there be some area for Jeeping within driving distance too. I guess I have to let him has his fun too.

So, where do you live or where have you visited that you think would be the IDEAL place to live and retire?

Replies

• Sallycinnimon
    Sallycinnimon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I live about 30-45 minutes away from the NC mountains. They have plenty to do there! I love hiking the parkway and it's not too far from civilization! I Like that it's far enough to make you feel as though it is. =)
  • rhonda999
    rhonda999 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    North Carolina, Asheville area!! Beautiful and diverse. Even Charlotte isn't far from mountains or the beaches!
  • rlf58
    rlf58 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I used to live on the beach in MS, now I live in north MS. Love both places!!! Couldn't imagine living somewhere that was cold a lot of the time!!!
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure (I'm in Ohio and personally love the Columbus area but doubt it fits your criteria!), but I'd love to hear the responses :)
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    That is easy - Denver, CO
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Bay Area, California

Thats where Im from and its perfect for sports ^^

ps: ive been to Colorado (Denver), and it is very lovely. I don't think it offers the best assortment though...maybe one of the best, but not the best ^^
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    we visited Northern California this summer....it meets your criteria.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    That is easy - Denver, CO

Another Denver vote! Or the west side of the metro area is even better. We don't even have to drive to get to hiking / mountain biking trails.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Going to second Bay Area- CA. You can be close to the city but also close to wooded areas, rivers for rafting, Tahoe. So many things to do here outdoors.
  • sehein7
    sehein7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    California!! The bay area near San Francisco is amazing. Weather is perfect year round. Tahoe, Yosemite and Napa are all very close. I've only lived here for 2 years, but I don't ever want to leave!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    west seattle, wa area, or any of western washington really.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    While the Bay Area is nice, it is so expensive. Colorado has a much more reasonable cost of living.
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    I live in southern California. I'm about 30 minutes from the beach, an hour from the desert, and an hour and a half from the mountains. Fifteeen minutes from a ton of trails, nature preserves, and camping areas. Theres hiking snow sports water sports(lakes nearby), the desert you can take jeeps, motorcycles, quads, buggies.

Plus I'm an hour away from LA and an hour away from San Diego with smaller busy cities in between.

Soooooo, pick Temecula!

Oh...p.s. Temecula has like twenty plus wineries too.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    California.

I live in MI, and if your all about all four seasons, its ok, but the winters are to long and disgusting. They are never just snowy, its slush or ice, or a blizzard.

I ride motorcycles, and I am apart of a motorcycle forum, and I spend all my time there gushing over all the amazing roads, mountains, hills, country side, roads, that they have out there. You can ride your bike from the mountain to a beach, who doesnt want to do that? (unless you dont like motorcycles I mean).

Now granted they get earthquakes, mudslides, forest fires, and tsunamis, but lets be honest, its a fair trade
  • CristaAmy
    Options
    New England!!! From Boston I can get to the following:

Skiing - 1-3 hrs
    Ocean/Cape Cod - 15 min - 1 hr
    NYC - 4 hrs
    ME - 2 hrs
    VT - 2 hrs
    Northern ME where there is nothing - 3-4 hrs
    Montreal - 6 hrs

In the last 2 years I have been: skiing 30+ times, ocean kayaking, hiking, hang gliding, to the Cape multiple times, river kayaking, ice climbing, been a tourist in Boston, ATV riding, zip lining, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, apple picking, hot air ballooning, etc., etc.

Plus with a good sized airport you can get out of town pretty easy as well.

I lived in OH for 10 years (Columbus actually) and found that the people were just not that outdoorsy. Much happier in New England.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    The areas surrounding Seattle.

Bothell, Kirkland, Kent, Issaquah, Sammamish, Redmond. All beautiful and scenic, close to literally all of the things you want to do – hiking, biking, kayaking, canoeing, jogging, etc. You could even go a bit further out and still be close to Seattle (like North Bend or Snoqualmie). As for climate, it does not rain like people seem to think it does. It’s wet, it’s cloudy, it’s drizzly, and only sometimes does it rain like they show in the movies. Summers are warm (never too hot), spring and fall are mild and winter isn’t too freezing and we don’t get much snow.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    west seattle, wa area, or any of western washington really.

Yeah West Seattle! :flowerforyou:
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you can handle the rain, Seattle-ish area of Washington! We don't see much snow, it doesn't get too hot in the summer, and if you are okay with doing outdoor activities in the rain then you'll love it here!
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    If you can handle the rain, Seattle-ish area of Washington! We don't see much snow, it doesn't get too hot in the summer, and if you are okay with doing outdoor activities in the rain then you'll love it here!

Seeee it is the best place ever.

Plus, we have the Sounders. :happy:
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I would vote for Denver too. You still get seasons but it's mostly temperate. Almost zero humidity in the summer, gorgeous views, tons of trails and outdoor activities. Someday I'm going to live there. Really I am.