Best area of USA for outdoor activities

Options

Replies

• bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    It sounds like Boise, Idaho, is the place for you!!! We have EVERY single one of those things you mentioned pretty much either within the city limits or within an hour's drive.

We have the river for floating/canoeing in the summer... and the weather gets really hot but it's VERY dry. No humidity. It gets cold but not THAT cold in the winter. If you want snow for skiing there's a mountain and ski resort 16 miles out of town.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    That is easy - Denver, CO

Another Denver vote! Or the west side of the metro area is even better. We don't even have to drive to get to hiking / mountain biking trails.

I third this! It doesn't get any better than the Denver area. Biking, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, camping, rafting, kayaking, not to mention the fantastic metropolitan area. We have 4 seasons with milder winters than most people think.

Forgot to mention the nearby Jeep trails and it's only 6 hours from Moab which is world famous for four wheeling.
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    Now granted they get earthquakes, mudslides, forest fires, and tsunamis, but lets be honest, its a fair trade

Earthquakes that you actually feel happen maybe once every few years, and they're not bad. Mudslides I have never been in one, but they happen on occasion. Generally after the fires, which we haven't had any major ones since 2007. This year they are all over any tiny fire that starts so nothing has gotten big.....and we don't get tsunamis. There was a storm on the coast this year from the earthquake in Japan, but my friend had a boat in Long Beach Harbor and it was fine.

We don't have tornadoes or hurricanes......those are the scary ones.

California is the best...around!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Denver is blah.
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That is easy - Denver, CO

Another Denver vote! Or the west side of the metro area is even better. We don't even have to drive to get to hiking / mountain biking trails.

Colorado was my vote too. My wife and I took our honeymoon in the Pike's National Forest.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    With those requirements, you can't beat Seattle.
  • georgysgirl
    Options
    I live in Bothell,Washington about 20 miles NE of Seattle.Many suburbs that are country like settings but not far from the city. Lots of hiking--mountains one hour away, lots of walking/biking trails.. ..Water-Puget Sound...many lakes & river. Scenery--Wow!! It is beautiful.Weather-it doesn't really rain as much as people think...shhhhh..don't tell anyone. We don't get much snow but seem to have more the last few years. this summer was unusual too...came late but when it did it was nice..not too hot. Doesn't get too cold either...20's the coldest...usually 30's and very rarely gets in the teens. About 2-3 hour drive to eastern washington....more desert like in summer & more extreme winters. Lots of jeeps,4 wheel drives & lots of hills to play.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    North Carolina, Asheville area!! Beautiful and diverse. Even Charlotte isn't far from mountains or the beaches!

I agree. It's like Utopia as far as climate and scenery goes.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options

too rainy
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    My first thought was Colorado. Around here (Charlottesville, VA) is nice, too. Someone yesterday commented on how outdoor-friendly this area is. When I'm out, I usually see at least 4-5 other runners/walkers in just a 2-3 mile stretch. It's a college town, but it's gorgeous and pretty friendly. And hey, 2 presidents are from here :laugh: I haven't been here for a winter yet, but I'm sure it'll at least be more mild than where I'm from! (Buffalo!)
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options

too rainy

Wait 5 minutes or drive 5 miles... voila! no longer rainy.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Another Colorado vote!! I love that there are outdoor activities year-round, despite the changing of the seasons. I also love that you can be city and outdoorsy in one place.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

too rainy

not really.
  • sehein7
    sehein7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes, the bay area is a bit costly. I actually live in the central valley (south of Sacramento, east of San Francisco), where the cost of living isn't as high as the bay, but we are close enough to everything to enjoy it all. The higher price of gas and groceries is so worth it to enjoy everything else CA has to offer.
  • JoleneCooper
    JoleneCooper Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sierra Vista, AZ. Meets all of your requirements. Even the boating!...but you have to drive an hour or so to get to it. There's also a lot of desert for the jeep and sand dunes are just a few hours away and make a fun weekend getaway!
    The temp is not your typical AZ heat! It rarely gets too high over 100 and the humidity is about 5-7 weeks out of the year. The winters get cold but not freezing, snow does happen about 1-2 times each year too.
    LOTS of hiking/walking/biking paths too. Plus it's a military community so there are a lot of active people. Good luck!
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Denver is blah.
    your face is blah!! (kidding ur beautiful but Denver Kicks *kitten*!!!!!) Boulder is even better if you can afford it.

Most people here are very outdoorsy. In fact it is one of the fittest places in the US to live!! I do all of the activities you listed on a regular basis, and never seem to run out of new awesome places to explore.

And winters here are not that big of a deal. (but keep that on the DL)
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    Denver is blah.
    your face is blah!! (kidding ur beautiful but Denver Kicks *kitten*!!!!!) Boulder is even better if you can afford it.

Most people here are very outdoorsy. In fact it is one of the fittest places in the US to live!! I do all of the activities you listed on a regular basis, and never seem to run out of new awesome places to explore.

And winters here are not that big of a deal. (but keep that on the DL)

I lived in Colorado for about 12 years, so I know it's blah. So there! :flowerforyou:

I will agree that of all the places in Colorado to live, if I had to live there again, I would choose Boulder.

My move to Seattle was one of the best decisions I've ever made though. It's beautiful here!
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    yeah but Seattle if full of drum circles and hippies, and it rains 366 days a year there. It is not so fun to play outside when you have to take noah's ark to get to the mountains
  • katieruns
    Options
    OK pals-

In a few short years I would like to move to a more outdoor activity friendly area. My requirements include but are not limited to:

1. Not too rural. I grew up on a farm but I need the excitement that a metropolitan area can provide.
    2. Must have tons of outdoor activities available such as walking, jogging, biking, hiking trails, water for kayaking, canoeing, boating, swimming.
    3. No dramatic climates! I do enjoy the change of seasons and some snow once in a while but the 20 below temperatures for weeks at a time in Iowa are getting a little tiresome! Also, I don't really enjoy 100 plus temperatures with 70% humidity either!
    4. MUST be scenic!
    5. The b/f requests that there be some area for Jeeping within driving distance too. I guess I have to let him has his fun too.

So, where do you live or where have you visited that you think would be the IDEAL place to live and retire?

San Diego Baby!!!
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sierra Vista, AZ. Meets all of your requirements. Even the boating!...but you have to drive an hour or so to get to it. There's also a lot of desert for the jeep and sand dunes are just a few hours away and make a fun weekend getaway!
    The temp is not your typical AZ heat! It rarely gets too high over 100 and the humidity is about 5-7 weeks out of the year. The winters get cold but not freezing, snow does happen about 1-2 times each year too.
    LOTS of hiking/walking/biking paths too. Plus it's a military community so there are a lot of active people. Good luck!
    I can confirm that Sierra Vista is a nice area, but it doesn't quite have the big city that you may be looking for.