Running 20K

Options
Ok - reality check, I am attempting to run 20kms tomorrow, and im freaking out! I did 18 last week, but I was sick, just a cold, but my recovery was really bad...worried im going to get sick again if I do this tomorrow. Trying really hard to eat lots for fuel...any tips for recovery? I dont seem to be able to solve this right now...last week I couldnt eat or drink anything at all and was wiped out for several hours....
Thanks for any help!

Replies

• JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in the advice you get. I have a half marathon next weekend and am still struggling with recovery.
  • sammeruss
    sammeruss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im still getting over my cold, and havent got out for any training runs this week, maybe im just lacking confidence! I was nauseous last week, couldnt even drink water...thats what panicked me, I usually eat loads after a long run. Is there anything I should be eating for sure during the run?
  • sammeruss
    sammeruss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've run a few half marathons without eating anything during the run, but a gel shot or gummie would be good about 30 minutes into the run to fuel the end of the run. And keep hydrated with gatorade or heed that also has carbs in it. Pre-race: for morning long runs I usally eat a normal sized lunch the day before, heavy on complex carbs, and for supper I eat a double or triple sized meal loaded with complex carbs (white pasta, rice, or potatoes, whatever you enjoy) but keep the protein and fat very low. Protein takes too long to digest, fat goes straight to fat cells not glycogen, and I have white carbs because I don't want a lot of fiber before a long run (trust me on that one). And I usually have a beer with dinner, it seems to help my digestion of such a big load. (also makes me less sensitive to being full). Don't go spicey, you don't want heartburn to keep you awake all night before a big race.
    Hope taht helps a little. it works for me, but may not work for everyone...