Figuring out amounts of food

Options
Hi! I am having trouble figuring out how much food is 100g say, or 4 oz of another. Ex: 100g of canned salmon - how much (cups) is this? I do not have a scale and am wondering if someone could help me out.
Thanks!

Replies

• Rebels57
    Rebels57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You should be able to find a conversion scale via a google search. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful than that!
  • FitnessDivaK
    Options
    I usually just use Google for conversions that I don't know.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You might want to invest in a food scale. Meats, dry pastas and several other items tend to be measured in grams or ounces. And there's really no way to convert those measurements to cups because it all depends on what the thing is. For example, 1 cup of something light like popcorn wouldn't weight the same as a cup of something heavier like raw corn.

Sometimes food labels can help because theyll give an estimate of how many servings are in the package so you can divide it up that way to determine. There are also some visual cues but they're not perfect either. Like the palm of a medium sized hand is about 3 ounces of meat. However, it all depends on how that meat is cut. If you're talking a normal pork chop cut, sure that's about right. But a thicker or thinner cut of meat would be different.

The most accurate way is to measure, at least until you learn how things look at certain weights, then you can guesstimate.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    There are places online to find these numbers.
    However, I would definitely suggest picking up a kitchen scale - you can get them for under $10 these days, and they come in SO handy. Basically everything I eat has been on the scale before-hand...
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I used to be anti-food scale. I thought weighing my food would take away from my enjoyment of it. But now that I've broken down and started weighing, I've found that it actually *adds* to my enjoyment. It makes things easier, and once everything is weighed out, I don't need to worry about keeping track anymore -- I can relax and just eat.

In short: buy a scale; it simplifies these things.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you need a food scale. best way. get one at wal-mart for like, $30.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale. Peace of mind! :wink:
  • docHelen
    docHelen Posts: 198
    Options
    used to be anti-food scale. I thought weighing my food would take away from my enjoyment of it. But now that I've broken down and started weighing, I've found that it actually *adds* to my enjoyment. It makes things easier, and once everything is weighed out, I don't need to worry about keeping track anymore -- I can relax and just eat.

In short: buy a scale; it simplifies these things.

totally agree...weighing is much less hassle than worrying
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    This: http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html

That said, my food scale is my BFF.
  • degausspdx
    degausspdx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    +1 on the scale thing. Another advantage is you can now start to eyeball how much is there after you get used to weighing it enough times.
  • Holdra76
    Holdra76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    THANKS TO EVERYONE!!! FOOD SCALE WILL BE BOUGHT NEXT TIME I GO TO TOWN:smile::smile: