Job Loss

I am having a really hard time keeping a positive attitude towards anything today. It was just announced that the company I work for will be closing it's doors after 27 years in business. I am torn between what is worse, having someone tell you today is your last day, leave and have a good life, or my situation, having to watch a wonderful successful business being torn apart piece by piece and watching your future get flushed down the drain. I am beside myself while having to keep a smile on my face and deal with ignorant people who have no clue of the sacrifices the owner has gone through in trying to salvage what is left of his pride and his life savings. I will go to the gym after work, but the next 2 days will be filled with a lot of alcohol and possibly some shrubbery. Not sure what my eating habbits will be for the next few days but I am not feeling very focused on my eating right now. Just needed to vent a needed a little support and encouragement. Sorry and Thanks.

Replies

• april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 616 Member
    shrubbery *snicker* i think this craptastic time calls for it! im sorry to hear all of this. *hugs*
  • docHelen
    docHelen Posts: 198
    sounds rotten for you. hope things turn around for quickly and we'll all be here for you whatever
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    That really sucks for you and the owner. I know first hand what having to close my doors was like. I did not have any employees, thank goodness, but a few years ago the economy was so bad that people could not afford my services. I went into a depression, tried finding a job as a waitress or bartender (back to my roots) and was told I was over qualified to work in that enviroment anymore. I put in 65 applications in 3 weeks, and not one job offer. Plenty of interviews, but was always over qualified. And because I had been self employed, I could not get unemployment either.

Good luck to you, your family and your extended family (co-workers)
  • bekins
    bekins Posts: 8
    Been there done that--at least 3 times in my life I've been layed off from a job due to no fault of my own just a bad economy and the last hired first fired rule. During those times I found myself eating for emotional reasons, but ended up feeling worse than I did before. I even tried hitting the booze but that didn't help just made things worse. I found that going to the gym made me feel better. I don't know whether it was the release of those endorphins or just exercising alone made me feel better--made me feel like I was doing something instead of having something done to me.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Things will get better, in 2009 (Aug.) my husband lost his job after 40yrs there, then I lost my job in Dec. same yr. after 19 yrs, finally my husband got a job 3 months ago 1/2 the pay and I got a job in Aug 2010 with 1/2 the pay. What I guess I'm saying it will get better need good health to work, sucks getting their but it is another one of GOD's challenges :heart:
  • tyadrake
    tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
    What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, I know. And I keep trying to tell myself I can't stress about things I have no control over. But it is pretty freakin hard sometimes. Thanks you all for the encouraging words. I know it is even worse for a lot of other people out there and I can be blessed that I have a job at least through mid December. I will try to stay focused and keep my chin up! :sad: