Treadmill

Options
I invested in a treadmill. It is not 'top of the line' as you don't enter in age/weight and things like that, but it will get me through the winter and help me gap those times where I make excuses for not wanting to go out to the gym and do cardio becos of time.

Can I safely log this under the 'Jogging' category even though it's on a treadmill opposed to outside jogging?

I know everything is variable, but I want to get as accurate as possible.

Thanks!

Replies

• himiller3
    Options
    For me, if I run at 6.8 with a 1 incline, the calories burned almost match the database identically to the jogging 6.7 (9 min. mile).
    --edit--

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned using my hrm. I have a Sole F83, has a wireless hrm strap.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM so I log my treadmill time under the jogging as close to the speed that MFP gives me (and I round down if I'm at say 5.3 mph I'd say I jogged at 5.0mph). I also bumped the incline if you have it up from the base amount to help simulate outdoors more.

I only eat back about half my exercise calories though no matter what because I don't have a HRM.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor to calculate calories burned to know for sure. I have a Polar FT7 costs about $100 on Amazon.
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    To be as accurate as possible get a HRM.
  • bekins
    bekins Posts: 8
    Options
    I believe that anything that keeps you moving is good. It doesn't have to be "top of the line" as long as it gets you off the couch and keeps you moving. Does it gauge distance and calories burned? If not, just keep track of how long you jog on the treadmill and try entering it under jogging and enter the time--that should let you know how many calories you burned jogging.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Generally, I have read that a treadmill at 1% incline is almost exactly like running on level ground. You should invest in an HRM , though.