=Net....? help please

Options
Should my Net calories be in the negatives? I just can't see how this is possible for me to do. I'm allowed 1350 calories a day, I burn on average only 250-300 a day. My Net has never came close to being negative. I'v tried to figure it out on my own but I'm more confused than ever. Can someone explain it to me as simply as possible, imagine you are speaking to a child, lol. Thanx

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Your net calories are your goal cal + the calories that you burn so at the end of the day ideally your net should equal your goal calories. Like my goal calories are 1200 at the end of the day....my net should be 1200.
  • jesicalyn80
    jesicalyn80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ok so my goal is 1350 & my net says 51 as of now. I want my net to also add up to 1350?
  • jesicalyn80
    Options
    Ive been trying to keep my net extremely low, thanx
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to keep them extremely low?
  • jesicalyn80
    Options
    I had no idea what that meant. I thought "why in the world would I eat the calories I just burned off". In my mind I thought to loose weight I had to try & get my =Net in the negatives. So even with the added calories I was given for burning calories I wouldn't eat them because it made my Net higher. Still learning I guess. But let me tell you, eating something other than celery & cottage cheese for dinner tonight sounds incredible!
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fuel.

Eating net 0 calories is exactly like eating NOTHING for the day. If you eat 1000, and burn 1000, you've essentially given your body zero fuel. Not good.

My general rule of thumb has been to always try and net 1200.
  • gsager
    Options
    Yes, by the end of the day it should be close to 1350. Don't take your calories too low, 1350 is extremely low.
  • gsager
    Options
    If you eat the calories you burn it will increase your metabolism and you will burn more calories.....if you eat too few calories you slow your metabolism down.
  • jesicalyn80
    Options
    1350 was what MFP suggested during sign up. Calorie counter suggested 1700. Might just do 1500, does that sound about right?