How much oil is in Nutella

Options

Replies

• TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I make my own. No oil needed and I can control the sugar. Tastes just as amazing :love:
  • mamaredhead
    Options
    I definitely believe that this video is showing the oily truth ...

I make my own. No oil needed and I can control the sugar. Tastes just as amazing :love:

HOW?!
    I'd love to try it out myself.

Keep up the great work everyone!
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Gross, but not surprising. :( I'd already pretty much decided that Nutella is one thing I can probably do without in my diet... doesn't give much back to you nutritionally. This video makes me feel even better about that decision.
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    I definitely believe that this video is showing the oily truth ...

HOW?!
    I'd love to try it out myself.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Super easy!

I throw a bunch of unsalted toasted hazelnuts in my food processor then blend until its hazelnut butter. (maybe 5 min?)
    Then add about a 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa then sugar to taste. I don't need much sugar and I don't bother with the fake sweeteners in this but if thats your thing you can experiment.

I make my own nut butters, occasionally depending on what flavor you might be adding, I might use a small drizzle of a healthy oil but it doesn't take much. The butters are not as smooth as the jar stuff but I don't mind it. Its not crunchy or chunky, just not silky smooth.

They usually keep 2-3 weeks in my pantry. If they last that long.
  • allybub
    allybub Posts: 15
    Options
    In the UK they are advertising on tv Nutella as a healthy sandwich filler or toast topper for breakfast. How can they be allowed to do that when it is obviously so very bad for you. I should think that the last thing kids nead before school is chocolate on toast! and to be told that is healthy is shocking.
  • allybub
    allybub Posts: 15
    Options
    Quote "The butters are not as smooth as the jar stuff but I don't mind it. Its not crunchy or chunky, just not silky smooth."

- its the oil that makes it smooth
  • stephanie_88
    Options
    Open a fresh jar and squish in a full paper towel. Put the lid back on and turn it upside down for a couple of days. Open the jar and throw away the oily paper towel. Eat in moderation. =)
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I would have thought that if the oil in home made nutella is just nut butter it is probably healthier then the sugar component of it.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Yum! But where do you buy hazelnuts? I don't think I've seen those in the store, just the usual walnuts, almonds, etc.
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    We have a Super Target and a Hy-Vee that carry them. There's a local health food store that has them too. Its more expensive to make your own nut butters but I like to make my own stuff for fun.