CARBS V PROTEINS - HELLLP PLEASE!

I've always believed in a healthy diet. Strangely, this belief system never seemed to completely register with my brain when it came to sweet stuff or beer, but as a sportsperson all my life until a bad injury meant I piled the weight on, a radical rethink was well overdue.
As a 20-something, I had revelled in an 18-month raw food diet, and never felt fitter. Hard to sustain, though, when all my firnds were downing beer and curries.
Two years ago, injured and my belly resembling a football at over 16st and 5'7", I 'plumped' (sic) for a (full-throttle carb) juice fast, and then counting calories with this great tool MFP. Stayed on the 'juice only' for far too long (risk of diabetes?) but felt wonderful and lost three stones, half way to Nirvana. Then lost the plot, piled most back on, same old.
Now attempting the (protein) Dukan, which goes against my principles of raw & fruit. Feel OK, but not as good as the energy of juice. Have lost a stone so far in 16 days. (Sorry, just can't accept slow, balanced diets, even though my brain tells me they are the best). Any advice from all you experts out there would be gratefully received.
Thanks for reading this guys.
Steve

Replies

• As a 20-something, I had revelled in an 18-month raw food diet, and never felt fitter.

Sounds like you have your own answer :)
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    I've always believed in a healthy diet.

(Sorry, just can't accept slow, balanced diets, even though my brain tells me they are the best).

Quite contradictory?

You've experienced the weight gain you get once you sotp these fad diets, yet you still want one that's going to give you super fast results.

I think you know the answer... slow and steady wins the race... :smile:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    There's no quick fix. You don't get to lose weight and then go back to having anything. You need to figure out something that you can do and keep up for the rest of your life. Eat a healthy variety of foods (and non-healthy things too sometimes), exercise, get enough sleep, and drink water.

It sucks to have slow weight loss but that's the weight that is more likely to stay off. It's better to be realistic.
  • sarahshak
    sarahshak Posts: 6 Member
    Try reading some research on the whole question of protein/carb/raw/juice thing. Two I've found interesting are: The Four Hour Body by Tim Ferris and Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It by Gary Taubes. Not being able to continue to lose weight on raw or juice or the calories in/calories out idea, I turned to these gentlemen and tried the slow carb method. For me, it was obvious I didn't need carbs so much and my body responded best to this eating plan. Gary Taubes goes through the history of what we ate, now eat and maybe should go back to eating. Give it a read and see what you think. It worked for me. Of course, if you try it, you have to ignore the food charts, this site's cals in cals out method of tracking and pretty much stay away from the grain/pasta/fruit industries.
  • Hi Guys

Thanks very much for taking the time out and offering advice.
    Much appreciated.

Kaveman Karg: You are so right, but I can't keep it up and live with it, especially as all the family are 'cookers'.
    PS Well done on the 128, fab man.

MrsSWW: Correct again. It's the contradictory nature of this that maddens me, and that I realise slow is best, but I still beat myself up if the scales don't change regularly!

capriciousmoon: Many thanks, it is definitely a 'life' diet I need. Can't excercise enough at the mo with the injury, and do find sleep hard to come by. I'm managing to drink plenty of water, but as Meatloaf would say, 'One outa three is bad.'

sarahshak: Really appreciate the research suggestions. They sound useful, and you have obviously benefitted. Ferris & Taubes it is then.

Once again, many thanks guys.
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    If you felt good on raw then try that again
    Have you been to ' 30bananasaday' website
    Lots of discussion forums for support there

I would like to be more raw but find it hard. Sounds like you thrived on it so if you are struggling with what you are currently doing I would say go back to raw or high % raw. However, I don't think you will get many people on here subscribing to that so might be better trying the other site for additional support
  • Hi Helen
    Thanks, I will have a gander at '30bananasaday'.
    I felt great on raw but as everyone around me does cooked it's not easy.
    Cheers
    Steve
  • If you felt good on raw then try that again
    Have you been to ' 30bananasaday' website
    Lots of discussion forums for support there

Just tried to join the site so my application is pending.
    Looks like you have do whistle dixie and do pirouettes to get in.
    ...whistle...spin...whistle..spin...
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    It's quite easy to get in, they let me in!!!