Question for vegans and vegetarians!

Options
Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
Since you have become vegan/vegtarian have you gotten sick as much as before, or are you better? I was just wondering if it made a difference for you!

Replies

• FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I can't remember honestly, it's been like 10 years.
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since 1989. The first change I noticed was the nearly debilitating premenstrual cramps I had suffered with for years nearly went away. When I did have them, ibuprofen was all I needed. I don't get sick as often as most people I know. Even though I struggle with my weight (I'm working on that now!), my cholesterol never been a concern. Good luck!
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    Thats great!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I agree I don't have pms nearly as bad. Also don't get sick often. I get a cold maybe once a year if that? I did get the flu last year but really the only reason was because son got it from school.
    I have low blood pressure and cholesterol (even when I was overweight).
  • eowynblythe
    eowynblythe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, FairySoul! I actually get sick WAY less than I did when I ate meat. Everyone in my family would get sick, but I wouldn't. I definitely noticed a difference.
  • annajade24
    annajade24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I feel much healthier as a vegan. You do have to be sure that you pay attention to what you eat and be sure you are getting all the necessary nutrients.
  • Melissasuzanne
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 3.5 years and have only been sick once. I USED to get sick 1-2 times a year. Despite being overweight, I haven't gotten a negative blood test result. My last visit to the doctor, I mentioned I was going to really focus on losing weight - she recommended a low-cholesterol diet; and I was already doing all of those things. (No red meat, limit cheese intake, etc). A lot of people are saying about cramps, too. I have never had a problem, but I never thought of contributing that to vegetarianism! :)
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    I am so glad to hear from you all!
  • idrewacat
    idrewacat Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also noticed a difference. I used to have to take a daily allergy pill, Zyrtec, but stopped soon after I gave up meat. I rarely get sick, and I used to get constant infections, literally monthly. I've only had one ear infection since giving up meat eight years ago :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Been a vegetarian my entire life (vegan years 1-5) and I rarely get sick... But I also take an emergen-c every single day
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian (mostly vegan) for 2 years and I currently have my first cold since I switched. I was definitely sick at least twice every year. I feel more energetic, more postive, fewer headaches, and no infections of any sort. One annoying problem is that I was hoping my chronic hives would go away, but they haven't...yet...
  • lolollama
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 15 years and I used to get every single cold that went around. Since losing weight I don't get sick nearly as often as I used to.