New here, but not new to weight loss

Options
Hi! I'm Lisa. A few years ago, I lost 110 pounds and was fit and healthy for the first time in my adult life. I ran a half marathon, wore a size 8, and coached a cross country team. That all lasted for about five minutes!! Then I got pregnant (which I'd been trying to do for a long time) and I gained 80 pounds back. It's three years later, and I've still got those 80 pounds! I lose 20, gain it back, over and over, and I'm sick of it. I'll be 40 in December and I don't want to spend my 40s like this. I want to run again, I want to feel good, I want to live a long life for my son, and I want to wear nice clothes again! I know how to lose weight, obviously, but I just haven't been able to make myself do it. I hope I can find support and friendship on this board so that I can finally do it, and I hope I can help others as well.

Replies

• chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    Welcome Lisa, you've come to the right place. I'm the kind of person that's always dieting and trying to loose weight, but it's so hard without support! I've found I great support team here and that's really helping me stay on track. I hope it works for you too :)

Feel free to add me if you want.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!
  • nettg40
    nettg40 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa, Welcome. As a fellow 40 year old! Lets do this!!!
  • nettg40
    nettg40 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa, Welcome. As a fellow 40 year old! Lets do this!!!
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Been there, on my third time losing more than 60+ lbs. One thing I did differently is after I lost 50 lbs and my weight plateuaed for a little while was to just practice at maintaining the weight loss. I started this right before Halloween so got the fun of the holidays. Then did my best to eat well but still enjoy the occasional treat. If I gained more than 4-5 pounds I got more serious until I got back those 5 lbs and continued this for a year. This is practice for what I see myself doing after I meet my goal which was my problem in the past good at losing weight but no plan for when I finish.
  • beautybiz
    beautybiz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This site will definitely help. There are so many good things about it. Welcome and good luck. :happy:
  • BetteEdmonson
    Options
    Join the crowd! We've all got a similar story to tell. Something has to click inside you that puts you back on the right track. Mine was several months ago when my doctor told me I was Pre-Diabetic. That was a shock to me since I never thought it would happen to me. That week I decided that it was time to take off this excess weight and eat healthy (not diet). I'm ending my 7th week on mfp and have lost 22 pounds as of last Sunday. My daughter and son-in-law introducted me to this website and I thought I wouldn't want to fool with it, but just the opposite has happened. I love making friends and we do all encourage and keep up with our friends. I've just joined my first Challenge (New You, New Year Challenge) that will begin Monday. I can't wait because I am very competitive!

I hope you will find the willpower within you to choose a different lifestyle while you are still so young. I'm 63 and wish I had done this over 20 years ago. That way I would not have damaged my knees so badly carrying around all the excess weight. Can't look back now. What is done is done! Pull yourself up by the bootstraps and get in the running with the rest of us. We are all in the same boat...desiring to feel better, look better, and eat better. I've lost so many inches along with the pounds so the results are quite dramatic. I plan to lose about 100 pounds or so and then assess my "body" to see if I need to lose more.
    Just make good decisions about your food, keep an accurate diary, and make friends. You will be successful and can benefit from those of us around you.
  • LisaMDJ
    LisaMDJ Posts: 18
    Options
    It's great that you were able to practice maintaining a 50-pound loss. I thought I would be able to maintain my initial loss a few years ago because I ran so much (I was running 30 miles a week at least at the time I got pregnant). I don't know what would've happened if I hadn't gotten pregnant, but I'm glad I did because my little boy is such a blessing! I plan on losing 10% of my weight and then maintaining that for a while, then doing it again, then doing it again, until I reach a healthy weight. I'm doing it super slowly this time to let my body adjust to the changes.
  • LisaMDJ
    LisaMDJ Posts: 18
    Options
    Bette, thanks so much for your response and all the encouragement you've given me. I know I can do this because I did it before, and I plan on taking it more slowly and taking it easy on myself (but still getting the job done) this time. I know you can do it too, because you really sound like you're ready to change your life too!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa. Let this be motivation more than anything: losing weight is tougher in your 40s than your 30s! Been stuck at the same weight for a long time and seems the only time I lose is when I am not feeling well or stressing.... just to gain it back. I exercise like crazy, too. With MFP, I am losing, even though it is not as quick as I would like. You can friend me for support and advice.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Well welcome back! This is a great place for losing weight and not having to do it alone. I love that since you track your food and exercise it takes the guesswork out and I don't have to starve myself. I love this place. Hope you do too.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Well welcome back! This is a great place for losing weight and not having to do it alone. I love that since you track your food and exercise it takes the guesswork out and I don't have to starve myself. I love this place. Hope you do too.