Help! Professional Work Clothing on the cheap?

Options
I need advice and support!!! I landed a job interview on Wednesday in an professional office environment. My last job which I had for a year was retail in a uniform, during that time I lost about 30 pounds, and I don't have a lot of clothes because I wanted to continue losing...then in June we moved cross country and I have no friends here that I can borrow clothes from.
I went to some thrift stores and didn't find anything my size... Money is tight (hence why I am going back to work since we have been living on one salary since moving in June). I can't afford to buy new clothes right now... I need interview apparel plus if I get the job I need at least a few days of professional clothing... I don't know what to do... It was so dissapointing hitting thrift stores today and finding everything under size 18, or just literally huge house dresses in larger sizes... I am going to have an anxiety attack about this!!! Whats a cheap way to find plus sizes that looks professional??? Anyone been there/done that?
I have been job hunting all summer, and it figures I'd get something in the month that we have been the tightest!!!

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I am a guy, but Target has really nice clothes at a good price for all sizes.
    I only buy clothes at two places, Target and Nordstrom and I mix and match all the time.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Here in New Zealand we have an organisation called Dress for Success that help woman that is getting back into the workforce with clothes when they first start going for interviews, and to get through the first month in the job - I donate all my professional clothes to them when I am done with it - they did really well out of me as I was shedding the weight ....... have a look around to see if you might have something similar where you live....

Other than that - if you were closer I would have loved to help you out (I still have a few bags that has not been taken to DfS), but unfortunately I am a bit far away.....

edit - here is the link - it seems you have them in the US as well....http://www.dressforsuccess.org/locations.aspx
  • Logansmom2011
    Logansmom2011 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I agree,target and old navy has cute stuff for a decent price too just sometimes their clothes run big.
  • princessthecat22
    princessthecat22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Kohls, They hae grat stuff and a hassle free return policy.
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What about stores like ross, tj maxx or marshalls? that is where i get most of my teacher clothes....
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Ross, TJMaxx and Target all have very reasonable prices on professional wear. Also, Kohls always has great prices on the Clearance racks. Good Luck!
  • ncsubeachgirl
    ncsubeachgirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    new York and company.... They have great coupons too
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I only ever shop at Kohl's anymore. They have nice clothes for my officewear and I can usually pull something off of the 80% off rack that fits nicely.

The thrift shops you speak of, were they Salvation Army or Goodwill stores? The Salvation Army in York, PA (the only one I've been to) seems to have a good selection of many sizes.

I just gave away 3 black trash bags full of suits, skirts, blouses and slacks ranging from size 26-20W. I listed the items (as one bulk item) on a website called Freecycle.org for my area and someone answered and came and picked it all up. That helped her out... whatever she couldn't use I asked her to Freecycle out to others... makes me feel better.
  • kelceystevens73
    kelceystevens73 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory and Marshalls sometimes have some really good work clothes. My wife has gotten work clothes at those stores before.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions here. I was really happy to discover a couple of consignment shops around town that carry larger sizes. Better quality than many thrift shops, and it's hard to beat the price. I've found several great short-term outfits outfits there. Maybe try to Google it for your town?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Dress for Success, and I was just at target, very pretty (cheap) stuff. If you can try to find a coupon :) Good Luck
  • tricia19444
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions... for the discount ideas. I will have to do some more looking this weekend. Theres some good ideas.
    If I could afford a regular retail prices like Kohls, Target or Marshalls, I would not be in such a panic.
    I just can't right now.
    With moving cross country and having no friends here yet, I just don't have a lot of resources. Back home I could have borrowed from a friend or two...
    I wasted a ton of gas and time today driving all over looking for clothes at thrift/consignment stores and on clearance racks... its a dissapointing reminder that I am fat. If I was a 12 or 16, I could have bought a few nice ensembles for about $20-40.
  • tricia19444
    Options
    ....went and bought new clothes at a 40% discount this afternoon for Wednesdays job interview... I couldn't find the pants I wanted in 22, and 20 was too tight :-/ Had to go with 24s, but was able to do 2x tops comfortably. I told hubby I don't want to buy temporary clothes till I can be a 20... so if I get this job, I may wear the same black pants every day for a few months... *LOL* I'm not going to spend the money...(and the garage sales & thrift stores here suck for plus sizes).
    Thanks for all the ideas...