Day 2 of Paleo/Whole30 and feeling terrible

Options
Tired, weak and so sick.
Normal? It should pass soon right?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    That's really weird and abnormal. Usually people feel BETTER going paleo. Grains certainly were making me sick and I didn't know it!

But what's Whole30?
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It is normal to feel something like what you describe when first transitioning off of starches and grains. I heard it described to take a week for many to several for others. It varies and is referred to as the "low carb flue" though "low starch flue" would be more accurate.

Things to keep in mind:
    Iceberg lettuce is next to useless, nutritionally speaking. A vet will even tell you not to feed it to your rabbits. Green/Red Leaf lettuce, Romain lettuce, Boston lettuce and butter lettuce are much better choices from a nutrient stand point along with the obvious spinach.
    Peppers are a fantactic source of nutrients (vitamins/minerals) and can be used liberally throughout your meals.
    Organic fats are a valuable energy source in the absence of starches. Don't be afraid of them in your meats and other sources.
    Sweet Potatoes, Butternut squash, and similar squashes are great to include as well. Try them at lunch.

Best of luck to you.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Whenever you change your eating habits, your body is going to react. Especially if you've been on a diet full of processed foods and a lot of grains. It is like an addiction. Give it a couple of days.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    believe it or not, your problem is likely due to low sodium and dehydration. When starting to burn your own fat for fuel on paleo you release allot of stored water and sodium and you start producing an extra amount of potassium, which imbalances you. try drinking chicken or beef broth.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you get headache (sugar withdraw), take magnesium.
  • Saucy_Yoda
    Saucy_Yoda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You're only on the second day, so it's likely just withdrawal, or your body trying to acclimate to the diet change, but keep an eye on it. I went through that for a couple weeks, and then I got a whole new set of symptoms: muscle aches, frequent headaches, extreme dizziness, massive hair loss. Hello, ketosis ...
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i felt i had "carb flu" on day 3-4 of trying this. I felt awful. Good news is it passed quickly. Stay the course.
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your advice. Ill keep at it. I relied quite heavily on brown rice and low fat milk (with my coffees) so it has been a challenge not eating them. I have wanting a coffee so bad too today. I do feel a bit better after a short nap.
  • jgerlach
    jgerlach Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My family and I just finished our whole30 and are now on a "whole20". I agree that it is normal to feel bad a few days in but it gets better and then you feel GREAT. I documented our journey to help encourage others and give meal ideas. You can check it out if you want at www.wholefamilystrong.com or on facebook at Whole Family. Keep up the good work!
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Good to hear!...that means your body is detoxing from all the sugar and grains you've been eating :) That's a good thing.