TVP

Options
Who here uses TVP in with hamburger to extend the meat yet shave the calories and cost too it’s cheap!

I purchased some from the bulk barn. Who has tips on cooking it with burger for hamburgers?

I figured I put it in spaghetti to lower the fat level. For those who don’t know what TVP is its Textured Vegetable Protein. My mother suggested it to me to make spaghetti sauce, chilly and taco meat mixed half and half with hamburger. Only downfall it’s extremely high in protein.
I know the cost of extra lean beef is getting to me, especially for all of us making ends meet in this economy with jobs being lost , TVP takes one pound of extra lean beef and voila you got two with half the calories!:laugh:

Replies

• nevertellen34
    Options
    Who here uses TVP in with hamburger to extend the meat yet shave the calories and cost too it’s cheap!

I purchased some from the bulk barn. Who has tips on cooking it with burger for hamburgers?

I figured I put it in spaghetti to lower the fat level. For those who don’t know what TVP is its Textured Vegetable Protein. My mother suggested it to me to make spaghetti sauce, chilly and taco meat mixed half and half with hamburger. Only downfall it’s extremely high in protein.
    I know the cost of extra lean beef is getting to me, especially for all of us making ends meet in this economy with jobs being lost , TVP takes one pound of extra lean beef and voila you got two with half the calories!:laugh:
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Cool! Where do I get it? Do they have it at the local stores or do I have to go to a natural food store??
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    How much does a pound of TVP cost, roughly?

How does it blend? Is it chewy, like Morningstar Crumbles (fakie hamburger meat)?
  • nevertellen34
    Options
    It was extreamly cheap I got it at a store called the Bulk Barn in Canada. I think for a huge bag it was under 3 dollars.
    They do carry it in the states and theres both flavored and unflavored tpv like chicken and beef or ham but I went with the unflavored version that picks up the sauce flavor and the meat its mixed in with. Keep in mind the protien is extreamly high.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'd think high amounts of protein would be a good thing??? :huh:
  • utexashorns
    Options
    Wow! I am going to look into that! Does it have a lot of sodium or artificial ingredients?
  • nevertellen34
    Options
    Ok some highlights I found on the net about this product.
    credit wiki here.
    Properties
    TVP made from soy flour contains 50% soy protein and needs to be rehydrated before use, at a weight ratio of 1:2 with water. However, TVP when made from soy concentrate contains 70% protein and can be rehydrated at a ratio of 1:3. It can be used as a meat replacement or supplement. The extrusion technology changes the structure of the soy protein, resulting in a fibrous spongy matrix that is similar in texture to meat.

When stored dry at room temperature TVP has a shelf life of more than a year, but after rehydration it should be used at once or stored for no more than three days in the refrigerator. It is usually rehydrated with cold or preferrably hot water, but a bit of vinegar or lemon juice can be added to as a preservative.

Rehydrated TVP can replace ground beef, ground lamb, etc in most recipes, and in tuna fish salad to the extent of 30% or more. It is high in protein and low in fat and sodium. It is also a good source of fiber.

Textured vegetable protein comes as granules, small dry chunks or flakes when bought in bulk. It has little flavor of its own and needs to be rehydrated and flavored (both can be accomplished in the same step), then added to cooking.

Textured vegetable protein is a versatile substance, different forms allowing it to take on the texture of whatever ground meat it is substituting. Using textured vegetable protein, one can make vegetarian or vegan versions of traditionally meat dishes such as chili, spaghetti bolognese, sloppy joes, tacos, burgers, or burritos.

Textured vegetable protein can be found in natural food stores and larger supermarkets, usually in the bulk section.

TVP is also very lightweight, and is often used in backpacking recipes. TVP is often used in prisons for several reasons; its low relative cost, high protein, and low fat qualities make it ideal, as does its relatively long shelf life, which allows institutions to buy in bulk.

Well prison scares you off its just cause its that cheap.