Under calories, but I'm sick!

Options
So I know the cardinal sin with weight-loss is to be too low on your daily calories..... BUT, I feel like crapola today (head cold, sore throat) and have had very little appetite. I finished the day at 745 calories (didn't exercise today due to being sick, just stayed on the couch/computer all day). Really, HOW bad could that be for one day? AND, do I get "roll-over" calories?!?! ;) Like my cellphone minutes, can I use the extras the next day if I'm feeling better or is it better to keep to my daily limit tomorrow? Do I go eat something (hmmm.... my kids have "Drumstick" icecream in the freezer at about 350 calories each) that's low in nutrition and high in calories just to meet my limit for the day? Rarely do I have this dilemma! :)

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    a couple days under your calories isnt going to hurt you. Especially if your sick. Eat what you can, and get lots of rest and lots of fluids, and hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou:
  • Janelle31
    Janelle31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When you're sick, there's only so much you can do. Normally this doesn't last too long, so I think you'd be fine just going back to the regular calorie count when you're feeling better. I would probably avoid the poor quality foods. Hopefully you are feeling better soon.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Ugh I feel you, I've had about 660 calories since wednesday night-mostly juice. I found out today I have strep. I hurts like no other right now, and food just doesn't sound good at all.
    Hopefully you get better soone, a few days won't throw you off too much.
  • mochaphobic
    mochaphobic Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree. Don't force yourself tonight to eat just to eat. I had a colonoscopy last month and was way under calories the liquid day but the next day I was so hungry after it was over that I ate over my calories. What we were taught in Weight Watchers is that if you are under one day but eat over the next, as long as you are eating healthy and don't go way over you should be okay. The goal is to be down 3500 calories for the week (assuming you want to lose a pound a week.)
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bummer! Hopefully they got you on some antibiotics and you'll feel better quickly! Last night my throat hurt so bad, I was wondering if it was strep, but I didn't have a fever. Hang in there! This crud is just going around......
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sorry.... I'm a newbie..... how do I reply to a reply????
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Sorry.... I'm a newbie..... how do I reply to a reply????
    You push the 'quote' button on the bottom right ;)

Yes, I got antibiotics today, and I have the weekend off so i get to spend it recovering. They took my temperature the other day when I thought it was only the flu, it was only 100.1, I was told that it isn't considered a fever until 100.4-oh well I tried. Luckily they took the swab of my throat to see if it was strep. I am feeling better though, so thank you ;)
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that your body is working differently when you are sick, so your BMR is going to be off anyway. Your body is focused on developing anti-bodies to fight the "bugs" attacking your system. Keep it hydrated, keep your electrolytes in check, then sit back and let the body do it's work.