5 Hour Energy - Good/Bad?

Can you all weigh in on 5 hour energy? Share you experience/knowledge/information be it good or bad. I have been using them, but would love to have energy of my own to work out in the evenings.

Thanks!

O - here's some additional info about my personal situation which may be helpful for those of you offering advice.

1 - I'm a single mom with a full time job and a tween with full time activities. So, if you understand this and know something natural that will give me energy I'm all ears.
2 - I don't drink coffee - it upsets my stomach.
3 - I have issues with my digestive system so lots of roughage, nuts, etc. will leave me in pain. Can't eat dairy either.

Ok - I still want your help :)

Replies

• idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Diet, exercise, sleep and water give your body everything it needs. That should also give you enough energy when needed. Don't work against your body, work with it. Being tired, maybe your body is trying to tell you something.
  • leemarie324
    leemarie324 Posts: 63 Member
    I usually take half a shot every nite, and it helps me get through my workout..they def help me power through my workout after a long day taking care of patients..
  • garbage.

instead, try a decent mult-vitamin, a good mixed source protein powder with lots of BCAAs, and some regular ol' fashioned morning coffee.
  • Decayed
    Decayed Posts: 16
    i say drink it! i drink anything and everything i can get my hands on!
  • 5 hour energy isn't bad for you it's just b vitamins and not all of us can power through a day naturally.So I say go for it and see if it works for you.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    I'm holding out for 30 Year Energy(tm). Do you hear me energy drink chemists?
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    I think it's one of those questionable foods. I personally don't drink it because it definitely hasn't been around long enough for us to know the real effects of it. Instead.. why don't you try some fruits .. instant energy boost. You could also try a protein bar or coffee.. they'll both give you a good amount of energy to power you through your day or workout.
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Yea, the fact that it hasn't been around long makes me quite apprehensive about it. Fruit before my work out? I'll try it! I like fruit!
  • MochaBlues
    MochaBlues Posts: 197 Member
    I agree with the other poster...the main ingredients are b6, folic acid, b12, and niacin....I generally take shots to get me motivated to begin some of my early morning workouts... I prefer it as I don't get a big crash later and I can generally stretch a bottle over a couple days.
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    more like 10 mins of energy, waste of money, i have better results with coffee
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    I drank one whole bottle recently. Then I proceeded to do HIIT for 55 minutes, which is insane, especially for me. I had to cut it short because of gym closing, but believe me... after the 3 minute drive home, I was ready to do some MORE.

On the other hand, coffee doesn't seem to do anything for me.

The intense result actually makes me a bit wary. Too good to be true, I guess. I think I'll take it every once in a while, on days I eat a few hundred calories more than my usual. But definitely not an every day thing.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    It's kind of my secret weapon. Personally, I have to be REALLY careful with what I consume before I work out because my stomach will hate me after 20 mins of moving about if I have too much (or too little) in it during a work out. However, I do need a little pick me up to get me started in the morning... That being said, I CANNOT handle coffee before my work out. 5 hour energy is much lighter on my stomach and gives me the kick in the pants I need to get going. Mind you, I only use it when I really don't have the energy I need to work out hard. Taking it every day, I believe, would be no-no.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    I wouldn't use it.

Initially, it won't be bad for you and if it's only used very sparingly. But the more you use it, the more your body adjusts to it. Thus, you use more to try and compensate. This is when it starts to affect your body.

This happened to my bf and he ended up getting palpitations from it. The doctor confirmed that the 5-hour energies and red bull type drinks are often big culprits.

How much caffeine do you get in a day? I've found the best way to combat being exhausted is to drop caffeine to VERY minimal amounts. You will feel terribly tired for a week or so but afterwards you feel better on 5 hours of sleep with no caffeine than you do on 8 hours with caffeine.
  • My favorite thing to drink is this: http://www.togobrands.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80&Itemid=78
    It's all natural, it tastes great, and it may be all in my head but I swear it's magical. I swim for my college team and practices are grueling but as long as I sip from this throughout my practice, I find I always have enough strength/energy to make the next set. I also drink them before I run. Hope this helps!
  • sarkris
    sarkris Posts: 41
    I use them once in a while to get through the end of my ver busy nightshifts. They are B vitamin based and not too horrible for you (although I'm not a fan of the sucralose). If you are sensitive to niacin you will want to give these a pass.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    as has been said before - 5 hour energy is a mega-dose of B vitamins (water soluble, btw), some herbal extracts, and some flavor. I think it tastes pretty nasty, myself, but is good for 'emergency use' - I'm a big coffee drinker because I work nights, but sometimes need more than just regular old caffiene.

However, if your kidneys aren't in good shape, the B vitamins might stress them a bit, since that's where they get processed out. It will turn your pee BRIGHT yellow, and you may get hot flashes from it (called a Niacin rush). I think its better than a lot of energy drinks out there, personally, but I generally avoid them if possible.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Good info- I thought it was a mega-dose of caffiene- I take vitamen B complex allready. I use Jack 3D before some work-outs, that seems to work very well for me.
  • Hi, my name is Carly. I’m part of the team that engages on behalf of 5-Hour Energy.

5-Hour Energy is a safe and effective product. It is a clinically tested dietary supplement that blends amino acids, nutrients and caffeine together with B Vitamins to provide a boost in energy and a feeling of alertness without a sudden drop in energy later.

The product has about as much caffeine as a cup of the leading premium coffee, but has no sugar or herbal stimulants. Many of the key ingredients in 5-Hour Energy are also available in everyday foods – like broccoli, avocados, bananas and apples.

While there is no substitute for a healthy diet and getting enough sleep, 5-Hour Energy helps busy adults keep up with their active lives. You should drink no more than two bottles of 5-Hour Energy per day, spaced several hours apart. And, when you try it for the first time, we suggest drinking half a bottle first.
  • I have never used 5 Hour Energy (and I don't plan to) - there's always research happening on the topic of energy drinks... some bad, some indifferent. Totally my opinion, but I don't think that it's worth it... it's perceived energy that you're body can start using as a crutch. Then, when you're without it, it can become an excuse for lower intensity workouts, skipped workouts, etc.

Meanwhile, here are some foods that are thought to be energizing. Some have more research than others, but all are healthy for you anyway:
    - blueberries, beans, cantaloupe, strawberries, mango, spinach, salmon, nuts, tea, tomatoes, soy, low fat dairy products, oatmeal, whole grains, citrus fruits, peppers, sweet potatoes.

Good luck!
  • AFGyrl
    AFGyrl Posts: 34 Member
    I take a few b-complex pills with my coffee in the morning.