Gaining weight?

Options
I just started MFP on Monday and I've always been under my calorie goal for the day, I also have been working out and burning calories each day. BUt...I weighed myself this morning and I've gained weight. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• Rackminac
    Rackminac Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but very curious about the answer...
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    Sounds like starvation mode to me. Either that, or building muscle. Or a combo of both perhaps?
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? You could be retaining from the new diet and exercise. Are you netting a low amount of calories after exercise? MFP suggests to net a minimum of 1200. And lastly, is your diary accurate? It's easy to take a bite here and there and not think anything of it. Good luck!
  • adraine
    Options
    Are you doing a lot of strength training? Could you possibly just be building muscle that would make your weight go up a bit at first? I recently started training with a Wellness coach and she told me that was what was happening with me when I gained weight in my 3rd week. Could be a possibility. Just keep up the good work, stick with it, sounds like you're doing a good job. It eventually has to catch up and pay off, right!!!! Good Luck!!
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing? I gained 6lbs the first week I started strength training, stayed there for around week and a half or so and then it all fell back off and more...
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Be sure to drink lots of water. I used to weigh myself everyday- well, I still do, but I only record my weight once a week. It fluctuates so much. Many factors. Too much salt one day and my rings are tight, so I know I am retaining water. Pms- I gain anywhere from 7-10#s for that week. If I don't get a good 7+ hours of sleep, i seem to weigh more that morning. Don't stress about it. Just keep plugging away, you will see results-
  • klkoehn
    klkoehn Posts: 10
    Options
    sounds to me like sufficient hydration and increase in muscle mass. Watch your measurements and body fat in addition to weight. I always gain weight when I resume a strength training program.
  • jojowack
    jojowack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. In my experience, it takes a week or two to start seeing the pounds melt - but when they do it is well worth the perseverence. Try to weigh yourself in the morning before you eat every time too if you aren't already. Also, it depends on what time of the month it is...don't underestimate how much water weight you can put on.
  • Kylie_Jones_2011
    Options
    A lot of people will gain weight but lose inches the first few weeks of dieting, or if you are eating a lot fewer calories than you used to, it could cause your body to go into starvation mode, you should taper it down to what you are eating. When I started exercising a lot after six weeks I hadn't lost any weight but had lost several inches off different parts of my body, then in the next 6 weeks the weight came off way fast. Muscle weighs more than fat but burnes more calories.
  • AshleeMalloch
    Options
    Thanks everyone, these all seem like plausible reasons. I'm trying to drink as much water as possible and I've been doing so much better this week. It's also approaching "that" time of the month, I didn't think about that until just now. Thanks everyone!
  • matthewdill83
    Options
    I started up again and noticed the same thing.. Like someone said, it takes a little bit of time for results to show up, scale wise anyways. Especially if you are just starting to get back into working out, as you will build muscle.. Try not to hop on the scale so often, trust me I know how badly we want to see the results of our hard work, but when you dont see that number you were hoping for, you get down on yourself.. Keep up the hard work and you will see results :)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Could just be fluid gain? This is a little blunt, but a few days before my period begins I always gain 1-2kg like clockwork. The day it starts I usually drop it. Sometimes if I have gained weight I will take this into account.