HOT YOGA

Options
Hi Everyone!

I'm thinking about doing Hot Yoga and wondered if anyone had done it thus far. If so, how did you feel? Have you seen any results as far as toning or weight loss?

Also, feel free to add me as a friend...

Thanks for your responses everyone! I'm looking forward to them. :wink:

Replies

• _Sonia_
    _Sonia_ Posts: 40
    Options
    I've been doing regular yoga (not in a heated studio) and it feels great! I'm gaining strength and muscle tone, and my posture is WAY better. I don't think it's doing much for weight loss, but that's what the walking/running I do is for, I figure. But I do think that the yoga--hot or otherwise--is great for core strength and overall just getting in touch with your body. Highly recommended. :) I may try the hot yoga, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    It sounds WAY harder. I do yoga all the time, I can't imagine doing it in a sauna-like room!
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I do Vinyasa power yoga. We practice in an 85 degree studio (this is different from Bikram, which is 104 degrees). Vinyasa is a flow yoga that links breath with movement. It is amazing. I have been practicing for about a year and a half, and I have definitely noticed increased strength and definition/tone, and it definitely helps me maintain my weight. Some of the fittest people I know with seriously rocking bods are in my yoga classes! :)

Lucy
  • leilani♥
    Options
    I did hot yoga for 2 weeks & LOVED it. I always felt euphoric after I left.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    yoga = AMAZING RESULTS!
  • olita420
    Options
    I just started hot yoga one week ago today. its brutally hard, but incredible! its that hardest thing i think iv ever done work out wise but its so rewarding afterwards. i definitively notice my legs are become more muscular and it doesn't hurt as much to stand up strait. i recommend it for anyone. i burn around 1000 calories over..every 90 minute class. after the class you will always feel satisfied.. just dont leave the room on your first class.. lots of people leave because they get dizzy or sick but just make it your goal to stay in the class the whole 90 minutes. you HAVE to try it!!!
  • hefinator
    hefinator Posts: 260
    Options
    I've done Hot Yoga for about a month! i feel fantastic afterwards! makes my skin feel great and my body feels stronger and powerful!
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to do Bikram yoga on about twice a week. I loved it! Not only did my body get stronger and more lean, I became more focused and connected. I'm not gonna lie, at first it absolutely sucks. My first few classes I had to sit during a lot of it and once I had to leave to throw up. But once I became more acclimated and learned what and when to eat beforehand, it got much easier. One thing that really improved was blood flow to my shoulder area. I had previously been in a car accident and just reaching above my head for a glass made my arm get pins and needles. One of the first postures in the series had my arms above my head for about 2.5 straight. After a while I was able to keep them there the whole time. I would highly recommend it. It strengthens the body and the mind. If it weren't so expensive, I would still be doing it if the studio here offered child care. I'd love to hear if you try it. I'm going to add you now. :)
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Heated yoga is not only an amazing workout, it's amazing for your mind and spirit as well. There are variances in hot yoga practices (Bikram, hot or warm Vinyasa/Flow). I practice Hatha and Ashtanga style yoga in a hot room about 2-3 times a week. the room is heated to about 100-102....so it's pretty darn warm - especially with other bodies in the room. At times, at the end of practice I've taken a look at the thermometer and it's read 107...one time 109.

Anyhow, the heat makes it more intense, but it is also beneficial in that it helps to really open up the body. The heat induces a prolific sweat that rids the body of toxins.

If you give this a try, I can almost guarantee you will feel amazing afterwards. Just don't eat within two hours of your practice and make sure you are WELL hydrated.

Yoga and hot yoga can most definitely help with weight loss and weight management. Most of the yogis I know have beautifully fit bodies.

Good luck and I hope you give it a shot!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love it!! People have already mentioned the amazing benefits. Here are some pointers though - don't eat a heavy meal for 2 hours beforehand and get some extra water in beforehand, and definitely take some water with you to class. It's awesoome :)
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your response. I'd thought about regular yoga too, but I like heat. I'm somewhat apprehensive, but I plan on taking a gallon of water with me so we'll see...