Blisters on feet from running! HELP!

Options
So....I recently purchased a new pair of AWESOME running shoes....they came equipped with the Nike+ option that I've been seeking for months...and I LOVE the way they feel when I am jogging/running. However, I now have HUGE blisters on the backs of my heels, and I have them also on the outer area of each big toe. I've jogged three times this week, the first night 6 miles, the following night 7.35 miles, and then last night I completed only 3 miles, because the blisters on my right foot were bleeding.
A friend suggested using mole skin for protection, which seemed to work fine, but the sweat and friction caused them to wad up in my sock :(
Any suggestions for prevention and/or treatment? I've been using Neosporin each night at bedtime. HELP!!!!!
:frown:

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Don't know about treatement.....but did you get fitted for them? Next time got to a store that will fit you for running shoes. Here in Texas we have Luke's Locker. They will put you on a treadmill and watch you walk and choose the shoe that's right for you!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    get special socks. running stores have them. they are like two thin socks in one so that the friction happens on the sock not your skin. and make sure you get a proper fitting for your shoes.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing "running socks"?
    Try using Bodyglide on those hot spot areas beforehand next time.
    Mole skin is ok, but duct tape is much better.
    If you are getting blisters, it means you may have excessive movement/ friction in those areas.
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have found putting a little vasoline on your feet where the blisters appear helps to prevent them. I get them on the balls of my feet when I walk for a long time because I have a weird way of walking, but when I used some vasoline, they didn't happen.
  • mbrassette
    mbrassette Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Bodyglide (haven't used it myself but have heard good things). Also, search for special lacing techniques for reducing heal movement in the shoes.
  • shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I agree about the running store to get fitted. I always suffered for months with blisters after purchasing a new pair. I thought it was part of the "breaking in" process. My friend told me about a running store near us and I went there and got fitted -- haven't had a blister since from new shoes and I am on my 3rd pair. The sizing is what I think made a huge difference. I was buying an 8 or 8 1/2 my regular shoe size and he put me in a 9 1/2! I was shocked and thought they would be way to big. He explained how your feet swell as you run and your shoe needs to be big enough. And now I don't suffer with blisters anymore!
  • AlohaBrook
    Options
    RUNNERS ALWAYS WEAR RUNNING SOCKS..
    Cotton is rotten is an old runners staying...\

some things that I have come across in my many or many marathons..

If you are wearing cotton socks, you will get blisters.. Cotton holds moisture which cause you to slip and rub... running socks are overpriced but soooo worth it.. if not, get mens dry fit socks 100% ??? (something other than cotton, maybe poli ??)

If you did not get fitted for the shoes, maybe Nike is not the best shoe for you... (I personally LOVE nikes) They may feel the best but may not be good for your type of stride (Pronate in/out, flat foot etc. )

They say to always buy your shoe a have size bigger to allow for swelling and spreading of the foot.. ( i actually wear mens Nikes because my foot is wider and its more comfy to give my foot room to spread)

Also, even if they dont feel loose around the ankle you should always tie your shoe in a 'runners knot' at the top hole of the laces... (ask someone to show you how to do it from a running store) it helps with slipping and stability at the top of the foot just below the ankle.. Its a live savor...

Could be the insoles too.. I love nike's but ALWAYS have to put in my own insoles or I will get little blisters on my toes...
  • AlohaBrook
    Options
    Also, remember shoes are only "good" for about 250-300 miles.... It seems like a lot but it adds up...

Even if the shoe does not look brokedown, it is.. sweat, wear and tear and flexibility all take a toll on your shoes and break down the support and effectivness...

I change mine about every 200 miles because Im hard on them...

Even though they still look brand new, I get a new pair and wear my others for circut training, light hiking, and bumming around ....
  • mediakitten
    Options
    I had that too. Turns out I was a whole size too small in shoes. If you didn't get professionally fitted then I would probably go and do that now to eliminate that possibility .
  • Virgo09
    Virgo09 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When purchasing running shoes, experts say to purchase a size a half larger than what you would normally wear in regular shoes. For instance, I wear a 7 but I have a 8.5. Having done this, I no longer have any bruises on my toes or blisters. ;)
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Also, are you using the very top lace holes? They can help keep your heel from slipping and it's abrasion that causes blisters.
  • gobamagrl
    gobamagrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies! I GREATLY appreciate it! You guys have given me several different options! I didn't get professionally fitted, but now that my feet are in such pain, I'm regretting that I didn't!
    Tonight while out, I did purchase some running socks and I picked up a Dr. Scholl's anti slide stick. Right now, I am just trying to get the blisters to heal, I am truly in lots of aggravating pain.
    You guys rock! Thanks again!!!! :)