The dreaded Midnight Snack...

Options
How do I defeat it!?

Replies

• Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have never really been a midnight snacker as I am often asleep but could you try drinking something? Or if you need to snack try fruit or maybe have a protein shake blended with some fruit? They fill me right up
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    How about a cup of herbal tea? I heard somewhere that this can squash your cranvings!
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    try cheese.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    try cheese.

cheese is very high in fat.
  • richybig
    Options
    try cheese.

And gives you nightmares, lol
  • wanderlust3
    Options
    Tea is the best! Not only does it taste good, it has the added benefit of being warm and soothing and helping you get to sleep. I like decaf chai tea, because it has a lot of flavor and feels substantial to me - like I am really having a snack. A splash of milk and some stevia and you've got barely any calories at all.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    try cheese.

cheese is very high in *healthy* fat
  • pbruce161
    Options
    Almonds or walnuts are good. I personally like to have a Casein protein shake because Casein digests slowly, it;s estimated that it takes 6hrs for Casein to fully digest, leaving you feeling full through out the night and into the am
  • KariePerez
    Options
    I have the same problem. Especially right before bed, now that part I am still battling. But in the middle of the night i just made it a point to stop my self and stop putting the things I like to snack on in the house. Or just get healthier versions. One of my down falls is cereal so I got healthy cereal instead. Hope I helped a lil.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    try cheese.

cheese is very high in *healthy* fat

Nooooo - Cheese has Saturated Fat - which is not generally classified as a "healthy fat" ......the healthy fats are the unsaturated fats......

But cheese is a good source of calcium and protein - which is why it is fine in small quantities...
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Personally my late night snack is some frozen berries, low fat yoghurt, sugar free jello......and if I have some spare calories a spoonful of peanutbutter....
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If I wake up during the night I often find myself hungry...it's not real hunger...more like craving and/or bad habit for me!.... as I always have a good snack before bed :-). I grab a few grapes or try to have carrot sticks prepared in the fridge..... trying to eat them when you are half asleep is fun lol!
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It's fine to eat whenever as long as you hit your daily calorie goal and it doesn't interfere with your sleep.
  • xochi71
    xochi71 Posts: 33
    Options
    I too was so guilty of the midnight snack....oreos!!! But one thing I learned from my first 30 day fitness challenge was protein. My instructor taught me that if you have enough protein those cravings will go away. She was right!!! The only reason I might get up now is for my 4 yr old. So r u consuming enough protein?
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Go back to sleep. How hard are you working in your sleep that you need a snack to get you through it? Train yourself out of the habit. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    If you have the calories to spare, it doesn't matter when you eat them. However if you eating just to eat, then you need to BUCK UP. Go to sleep. Brush your teeth.
  • kiever88
    Options
    Thanks Everyone. All very helpful and some funny tips :) I have instead been dowing a large glass of water and that has been able to suffice for me!