Scared to eat...

Options
I'm a disordered eater. I fluctuate between nonstop binging and extreme restriction (as in <500 calories a day).

Lately I've been eating about 300-400 calories, then going to the gym and burning 300-400.

I don't know what to think, but I need guidance. I am so scared to eat, because I'm afraid of losing control.

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this. I think the best thing you can do is seek professional help to understand why you're doing this, and to find healthier ways to cope with this issue. Wish you the best!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this. I think the best thing you can do is seek professional help to understand why you're doing this, and to find healthier ways to cope with this issue. Wish you the best!

agreed *
    and same here.
  • louisebear
    Options
    well im the opposite, i can binge all week and then feel guilty and diet the following week and thats my life, My Fitness Pal explains the importants of fueling ur body with food, we need 1200 - 1500 calories depending on ur activity levels just for your organs to function. try and think of food as ur friend u need to eat to funtion. Try health options veg, pasta, rice , egg nice things that u know u like.....small postions. dont stuff u face as ur body wont be used to it, give urself small goal...even if it means eating a whole plate of food in just a few days at least ur slowly building ur confidence. Just try and give it a go :O) i wish u luck xx
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options

How is this link relevant ????????????? Insensitive.
  • undermysleeves
    Options
    I'm really sorry, but medical attention isn't really an option because of money.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Professional help, indeed.

And, please, if you're going to network with other people with EDs, do it in a group setting with professional guidance counselors. Sometimes people with EDs friend each other here and it's just a big web of triggers and reinforcing unhealthy behaviors. I vote that you surround yourself with people with healthy habits and talk to a licensed psychologist/psychiatrist.

Good news is, you've come to the right place for developing healthy habits! You can get there. You WILL get there.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options

I think she meant it to be helpful. A personal note might have made it a little more warm and fuzzy, but I think her intention was just to get some information across. If you read 6 and 8, they actually are relevant.
  • McKayMachina
    Options

Did you even read the link? It talks about properly fueling your body, developing sustainable, healthy habits and rerouting your brain's relationship with food and fitness by celebrating your accomplishments.

It was a GREAT link. Very helpful.
  • undermysleeves
    Options
    Maybe if I slowly ease into standard eating, lie adding 100 calories a day until I reach a good calorie intake I can regulate my eating. What do you guys think?

Also McKay, thank you for bringing that up. I follow way to many eating disorder blogs and I will sit and read them for hours when I should be eating or getting some fresh air.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Maybe if I slowly ease into standard eating, lie adding 100 calories a day until I reach a good calorie intake I can regulate my eating. What do you guys think?

Also McKay, thank you for bringing that up. I follow way to many eating disorder blogs and I will sit and read them for hours when I should be eating or getting some fresh air.

It sounds like you have a really good plan to get healthy and a good head on your shoulders. It won't happen overnight, but you're on your way to a successful recovery. :drinker:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Get yourself under a good ED therapist and nutritionist/dietitian. Do NOT try to do this unsupported or you will likely find it very difficult. You need the psychological support to address the irrational thinking in order to cope with a return to healthy weight and eating patterns.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Can you use your gym membership money to get real help with your life-threatening eating disorder? Online healthy eating buddies may not be nearly enough for such a serious situation. Take it from an ex-eating disordered person, you can take it too far and never get another chance.
  • undermysleeves
    Options
    I feel as if it can't threaten me because I started at a higher weight. I'm not like a 105 lb. person trying to get to 95 lb. I'm trying to get to 150.
    It's as if I don't really have an eating disorder because I'm not thin enough.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry, but medical attention isn't really an option because of money.

i would hope there's voluntary organisations available in your area that either offer general counselling, or specific help with food issues.not sure how old you are but if you're still in education, there'll be services there. If not perhaps look for women's health charities. If you're really unable to find something, call an organisation like the samaritans - they usually hold a referral list.

Lovely, what you're describing here is a disordered pattern of eating and of thinking and feeling about eating. It was very brave of you to post.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I feel as if it can't threaten me because I started at a higher weight. I'm not like a 105 lb. person trying to get to 95 lb. I'm trying to get to 150.
    It's as if I don't really have an eating disorder because I'm not thin enough.

but as i know you recognise, this is where it starts. X
  • undermysleeves
    Options
    Thank you for your ideas :)
    I'm a bit scared to get help because I don't want my family to be disappointed in me. It's hard to explain, but I grew up as a forced independent person, and that's how I've always been.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Nice to see you're being your usual tactful self, Cheesy! :laugh:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your ideas :)
    I'm a bit scared to get help because I don't want my family to be disappointed in me. It's hard to explain, but I grew up as a forced independent person, and that's how I've always been.

this is going to sound really harsh but....would you rather your family be disappointed (if that happens) now, or grief stricken at your funeral. eating disorders kill, and you dont have to be a 90lb walking skeleton to lose your life to them.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You have admitted you have a problem, which is the most important step.

Next, find things you CAN eat without feeling sick, and eat those. Establish what weight is HEALTHIEST for you. Not what you want to be (we all want to be underweight), but where you are healthiest. Health is the only important thing here.
    I can't emphasise enough ho useful the MFP food diaries are. Knowing exactly how much you can eat in a day and how much that will make you weigh in 1, 5, 10 weeks is invaluable. It takes the guess work out.

Good luck. I hope you do decide to get professional help.