NSV - no CPAP, no snoring

Options
Anyone who has suffered from sleep apnea knows the health risks, hassles and discomfort that go with it. The leading risk factor for sleep apnea is, you guessed it, obesity. If you're overweight and not getting enough rest at night, you might want to talk to your doctor about a diagnosis. I've been sleeping with a CPAP (continuous positive air pressure) machine for the past 5 years. It's not a lot of fun sleeping with a mask on your face and a constant stream of air being pushed into your throat to keep it open but it's better than the alternative (no deep sleep). With my recent weight loss, however, I have been able wean myself off the CPAP. No tubes, no masks, and, much to my spouse's delight, no snoring either. What a gift: peaceful sleep for both of us without machinery. It's great to be healthy again.
A quick note to anyone who wants to ditch their CPAP: check with your doctor first!

9114468.png

Replies

• beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    That is an awesome NSV!
  • orleansmith
    orleansmith Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful. I know how much of a hassle that can be!
  • tracym17
    tracym17 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    that's awesome. well done.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    That's fabulous news so happy for you
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is great news for you! It will certainly extend your life!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Congratulations :D Thats a great NSV.
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! That is a huge acccomplishment
  • valerian101
    valerian101 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That is brilliant! Shows what weight loss can do.

My husband had a CPAP machine for 19 years and when he had surgery for bowel cancer, he could not use the machine as the air pressure was too high. At his next clinic appointment it was discovered that the sleep apnoea was no longer present. He initially had lost a lot of weight after the surgery but put most of it back on. He is only slightly overweight. Husband thinks the 'improvement' was due to slight damage of the trachea during the operation that has prevented the throat from collapsing. Whatever, it is fantastic for him to have no machine and no snoring. The clinic were absolutely amazed as it is almost unheard of for this to happen.

What is particularly interesting is that the clinic have had to invest in special chairs in the waiting room as some patients are too heavy for conventional chairs which pose a health and safety risk. Shows that obesity is a prime cause and we also know that lorry drivers are particularly prone to sleep apnoea.

Anyway, very well done on your weight loss.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    awesome NSV, congratulations :)
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    that's super awesome. and i've heard that has worked for other people too. unfortunately i started having apnea when i was thin. however being fat has totally not helped. the best i can over hope for is to lower my number on my cpap. but you should be super proud of yourself for your much better health, much better sleep and no tubes all over
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • jennifersews
    Options
    That's a HUGE victory! As I am sure you know the no 1 risk of untreated sleep apnea is heart failure. As a nurse I see the end result of untreated sleep apnea every day. You have added years to your life and life to those years. Congratulations!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!