Need Help---Hungry

Options
So, I've almost been a member of MFP for a year. Does anyone have any good food suggestions that are low in calories and sugar, but taste good and will keep me satisfied for longer than an hour? One can only eat so much oatmeal. I've started to gain weight back and it is very discouraging. And I know the reason why I've gained it back. I'm so hungry all the time that I start snacking on stuff that is not good for me and not filling. Please help me?!?!

Replies

• oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use a chocolate protein shake in between meals which really fills me up, but choose one with "NO CARBS" or "SUGARS".....!
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and not to be a Debbie Downer but I just haven't found what the answer is yet.

you could eat bulky yet low-cal foods by loading up on veggies with a bit of protein added to keep you full longer.
    you could also try to start your day with more protein/less carbs and make sure that throughout the day the only carbs you have are complex.

I don't know your exercise regime but if you are working out a lot it's logical you would be hungrier.

I hope you find a solution!
  • 44longcopse
    44longcopse Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a small bowl of dried cereal like fruit and fibre,a banana or slice of wholemeal toast with maybe a big salad or soup. Maybe you could try 5 or 6 smaller meals. I also have rice cakes with marmite and tomatoes or even a small amount of golden syrup with no butter if I feel I need something sweet.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why you want to have the food be low in sugar. If you are working out regularly you will need the carbohydrates. You just have to be careful what carbs you use and if you use the food tracker on this site - you know you will need to have a certain amount of carbs every day.

I always recommend people read Nancy Clark RD 'sports nutrition guidebook' It is an excellent resource for anyone to learn the basics about what to eat when you are active/athlete.

As for more filling food. Make sure there are plenty of fibers in your food. Protein helps you be full as well. Perhaps one of the reason you feel hungry is because you are eating simple carbs - not complex carbs.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I make up a huge pan of vegetable soup using a stock cube, garlic, herbs and any veg I have to hand. I liquidise it and then have it whenever I feel hungry.
  • ThickNThunda
    ThickNThunda Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased an elliptical machine and a stationary bike so I do cardio about 5 days a week. I also do strength training 3 to 4 days a week. I've just noticed this spike in hunger and I'm scared that I will start back on the path I was on before.
  • Tonyajangel
    Options
    This may sound crazy but I find having a larger meal for breakfast like chicken breast, veggies, and a fruit keep me much fuller all day long. I keep chicken breast tenderlions in the fridge I will have 1-2 ounces with a veggie or fruit. Very low in calories.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased an elliptical machine and a stationary bike so I do cardio about 5 days a week. I also do strength training 3 to 4 days a week. I've just noticed this spike in hunger and I'm scared that I will start back on the path I was on before.

That will happen, for sure.

A good, quick filler is 1 cup of almond milk, ice, and a banana in the blender.

Try snacking on lean protein and some fruits or veggies...my snacks are usually 200 cals -- and will be an egg and 1/2 a serving of crackers and 1/2 an apple or yogurt with fruit and a few almonds, or cheese, crackers, and fruit or veggie sticks.
    The soup is a good idea too!
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy but I find having a larger meal for breakfast like chicken breast, veggies, and a fruit keep me much fuller all day long. I keep chicken breast tenderlions in the fridge I will have 1-2 ounces with a veggie or fruit. Very low in calories.

that's the most recent advise I received - and it has helped the few times I've tried it.
  • littleenginethatcan
    Options
    I too, start out my day with a large breakfast. I scramble two eggs, add a little cheese, cut up a tomato, and some avocado, eat that on the side and a piece of whole wheat toast. It keeps me full, and I feel energized. For lunch I may have a bowl of Kashi cereal, and then a reasonable dinner. In between meals, I nibble on fruits, veggies, and string cheese.

Good luck!