Not eating carbs after 5pm?

Options
I'm following a nutritionist/trainers' plan for 12 wks at the moment, and they're big on not having starchy carbs at night. I'm trusting them because I have faith that they know what they're talking about, but I'm just wondering what some other opinions are. Has anyone seen a clear difference with cutting out your carb intake after 5.00 or so? Obviously if you were previously having quite a high amount of carbs and it's just cutting them down then you can't really tell. But has anyone kept their macronutrient ratio roughly the same but tried shifting those carbs to all be earlier in the day?

Just interested to see if anyone has found that it really works for them.

Replies

• Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You should focus more on eating healthier than meal timing. People on Ramadan fasting eat most of their food at night but still lose weight while preserving muscle mass.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17909674
  • TheTonyPony
    Options
    Yup! I do not each starch based carbs such as bread and potatoes at all, and Im seeing a big difference in my weightloss compared to just cutting back calories.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    It doesnt matter when you eat the carbs, its how many carbs you have within the 24 hour period.
  • susanckl
    susanckl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's a fantastic strategy and works and is totally fine nutritionally speaking. Of course considering the overall amount of carbs has also been adjusted.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter when you eat the carbs, its how many carbs you have within the 24 hour period.

right on!

carbs = insulin = fat storage

eliminate carbs and go high fat and high protein instead. Paleo and low carb dieting is something you should look into. Good fat in the diet is tastey.
  • drcnestor
    Options
    I think it makes since not to have high amounts of carbs later in the day when your less likely to burn it off. I might try this...if I wasn't breastfeeding.
  • ladyjoyce1
    Options
    I think so too.