Healthy Relationship With Food

Options
Is it just me....

I feel like I don't have a healthy relationship with food. When I first began my weight lost goal, I started eliminating some foods from my diet, the "bad foods" like french fries, chips, cookies, etc. I focused on eating the good foods like veggies, fruit, lean meats, etc.- which I LOVE to eat, and I know are good!

Now I feel as if more foods are creeping into the "bad foods" category; cheese, yogurt, anything with too much sugar, anything not fat free... Not only that, I consider these foods dangerous, and I get nervous when I know they'll be around.

I do allow myself the occasional treat- but it doesn't come guilt free.... Last week for my birthday I ate ice cream and cupcakes, but then was a total wreck thinking about how I ate from the "bad foods" list.

Is anyone else in this boat? Do you think that it's normal?

I want to feel comfortable with food!

Replies

• MelodAngel
    Options
    I do the same thing, but I have less willpower than you do :) I cave almost every night, but allow myself a cup of nonfat greek yogurt with granola. I realized how many calories were in granola so I switched to a Kashi cereal with less. It's hard! I want to eat all the time, and I feel like since I am on here logging my food, I focus on food that much more. It's really frustrating. I love eating veggies and things like that, but then since I satisfied the cold and crunchy, I have to have something warm and sweet, lol. Always a battle!
  • mrzpeep1
    mrzpeep1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You have to live your life. Yes, you want to eat healthy but you are allowed a treat otherwise what is the point. You can have foods from the "bad food" list just portion them or don't have them everyday.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have the same relationship with food. I was a victim of an eating disorder many years ago and have conquered the eating part but my relationship with food is still pretty rocky and full of guilt.

To answer your question on is it normal? -No. It's not normal at all. If your really concerned about it, talk to your doctor. They may be able to point you in the direction of someone you may be able to talk to. Just like weight loss is a long journey, finding a safe relationship with food and justifying your feelings with it is a journey in itself. I have come to realize that the losing weight part is the easiest of the two. Good luck!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    There really are no 'bad' foods and 'good' foods. I prefer to think of food as healthy and other choices as less healthy that I might eat much less frequently. For myself changing the wording really helped me not to draw a line and then beat myself up if I crossed it.

I'm successfully losing weight and inches making the choice to pick healthier foods over less healthy more often.

:flowerforyou:
  • kated930
    kated930 Posts: 132
    Options
    I do the same thing, but I have less willpower than you do :) I cave almost every night, but allow myself a cup of nonfat greek yogurt with granola. I realized how many calories were in granola so I switched to a Kashi cereal with less. It's hard! I want to eat all the time, and I feel like since I am on here logging my food, I focus on food that much more. It's really frustrating. I love eating veggies and things like that, but then since I satisfied the cold and crunchy, I have to have something warm and sweet, lol. Always a battle!

I can totally relate! Once I find a healthier version of whatever I'm eating, I switch over. I love yogurt, but thought there were too many calories/ sugars so now I eat a diabetic yogurt. I love hummus, and searched to find the hummus with the least calories and fat.

I love MFP, but I don't know if it's helping me or making my relationship w/ food even worse sometimes
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Is it just me....

I feel like I don't have a healthy relationship with food. When I first began my weight lost goal, I started eliminating some foods from my diet, the "bad foods" like french fries, chips, cookies, etc. I focused on eating the good foods like veggies, fruit, lean meats, etc.- which I LOVE to eat, and I know are good!

Now I feel as if more foods are creeping into the "bad foods" category; cheese, yogurt, anything with too much sugar, anything not fat free... Not only that, I consider these foods dangerous, and I get nervous when I know they'll be around.

I do allow myself the occasional treat- but it doesn't come guilt free.... Last week for my birthday I ate ice cream and cupcakes, but then was a total wreck thinking about how I ate from the "bad foods" list.

Is anyone else in this boat? Do you think that it's normal?

I want to feel comfortable with food!
    You are doing mental jumping jacks with food then. Weight loss/maintenance is dependent on your calories and NOT where they come from. If you are getting in your daily essentials, exercising and not over stressing, you should be able to still eat your "bad" food and be fine. I and several others on this site eat junk food and don't have health or weight issues.
    Totally trying to drop from one eating habit to another and still craving the foods you like to like will ultimately lead to failure. As a trainer I see this from several clients who start with me and try to do it this way. When I have clients who don't diet, but watch their total calories, they are miserable, craving food and have a much, much higher percentage of not regaining weight.