What's for breakfast?

Options
I would like to mix up my breakfasts. I don't want to eat carbs in the morning unless I'm planning to work out straight after. I'm wondering what else I could eat. Sometimes I make a mixed berry smoothie with soy milk and a banana and other times I eat two pieces of fruit. I use to eat muesli every morning but now that I am trying to lose weight I feel that the muesli is too high in sugar and calories. How many calories should one consume in the morning? I am never starving in the morning. What do you guys eat in the morning and do you mix it up throughout the week?

Christina

Replies

• NianMaya
    NianMaya Posts: 108
    Options
    I like yogurt, fruit, and cereal for breakfast, sometimes I add low fat granola:)
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my breakfast at about 500+ calories, I find a good meal to start the day keeps me going for hours.I have tried low carb pancakes for the fist time this week, and they are not too bad, they are made with protein powder instead of flour. I try to mix up my week, some days high protein others higher carb( but still lots of protein) depending on my workout schedule. Good luck :)
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    If I'm not working out after breakfast, I have 0% far greek plain yogurt (.75 cup) mixed with fruits (either apple or berries) and 1 tbsp sunflower seeds. Or I can have 0.5 cups of yogurt and 0.25 cups oatmeal (made with water and sweetner) with the seeds and fruits. And I also have 1/2 grapefruit every morning. That works for me, maybe you wanna give it a try...
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I has oatmeal with 6 chopped almonds and 1 squashed banana in it this morning and i stayed very full until lunchtime. I love adding fruit to oatmeal
  • Breadoholic
    Breadoholic Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't even know how to make oatmeal haha... no seriously I have never eaten it in my life. Wouldn't know what to buy, where to buy it or how to cook it. It's not as popular in Australia as it is in the States me thinks :P
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    most mornings I have a protein shake with coffee and 1/2 banana. if I have more time though, I like to scramble 2 eggs in butter with onions and whatever other veggies I have, and throw in some marinara sauce.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    That's weird. I buy Quaker oats and just make them in the microwave...maybe that's not what it is in AUS?
    I have oatmeal with bluberries, peanut butter and chocolate protein powder...it's so delish and gets me to lunch most days.
  • deshea_d
    Options
    I cannot skip breakfast or I am hungry all day. I have read that you should eat about 300-350 calories for breakfast when trying to lose weight and about 400 caloris during maintenance. I am not a huge believer in low carb for long term maintenance and I need carbs because I excercise a lot, so I try to have some carbs each meal but prefer a breakfast lower in carbs too. My favorite is 2 turkey sausage link (Jimmy Dean pre-cooked), one egg, and one piece of wheat toast (dry). Another favorite is one piece of wheat toast with natural peanutbutter, a banana, and 8 oz 1% milk. I have also found that if I do not have a glass of water before I eat breakfast, I eat more all day. Good luck finding those breakfast choices that work best for you : )
  • bethgarzonie
    Options
    I have a hard boiled egg, dannon light and fit yogurt( though I am thinking of switching to greek), and fruit (usually berries, citrus or apples). It's only about 250-300 calories. I eat this at 7:30am after starting work (school bus driver) at 6am. Sometimes if I am really hungry I will add a bit of beef jerky or string cheese.
  • ConorFYG
    Options
    I just have 2 Weetabix with a drop of milk every morning - a total of 185 calories. Keeps me going until my lunch.
  • Breadoholic
    Options
    So literally it's just oats with hot water and sweetener... fruit is optional? I remember seeing Quaker Oats in Trader Joes or maybe Wholefoods when I lived in the States.
  • Breadoholic
    Options
    Wow, okay. I obviously should be eating more for breakfast and then less during the day.
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat (1/2 cup soaked overnight) oatmeal (my favorite additions are pumpkin and then raisins and cinnamon). This along with a cup of coffee and lots of water keeps me full until lunch.

Maybe 2 days a week I will change it up and have 2 eggs (over-medium cooked in coconut oil) with 2 slices of Natures Own 40 calorie wheat bead with a tiny bit of Parkay light margarine.