cant eat fruit and vegetables? :(

Options
i've always hated fruit and vegetables as a child, and it needs to stop! i will try make smoothies and make soups.. but how can i introduce whole (not liquidized) vegetables and fruit into my diet? i need help!

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im going to say it this way and I hope you dont take it personally but - its pretty easy... Just like I did when my daughter was very young, we would just take one vegetable a day and pick a recipe you would like to use it in.... it doesnt have to be complicated at all... Whether its soups, stews, or even trying a new side dish....
  • hayskylar
    Options
    Try making stir fry. (:
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I second the stir fry !!
  • bariachic
    bariachic Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Zucchini is a good place to start! put some olive oil in a pan with some garlic, and chop some zucchini up (into little wedges, it's better than slices) and cook them until they're a little seared on both sides. VERY yummy. And good for you!
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have never been a big veggie fan. EVER. But I try to eat spinach in my salads and I'm also including it in recipes for things like lasagna. I have found that I like my veggies plain - no sauce, nothing. I still don't like many, but I'm trying to get better about eating the ones I do like: broccoli, green beans, brussel sprouts, spinach.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My husband is not a huge Veg fan and he really doesn't like zucchini and eggplant. But he loves my roasted veggie pancakes/fritters.

I roast seasonal veggies in the ove and then I blend them in the food processor. I add a little whole wheat flour, say around 1/4 cup, maybe an egg, and some milk depending on how liquidy the mixture is.

He doesn't even know eggplant is in there. You can't taste it. Roasting brings out wonderful flavors. I roast eggplant, zucchini, potatoes, onions, sweet potatoes whatever is in season. I'll probably try winter squash next.

Good luck!
  • NadiaT287
    Options
    thank you GREAT advice! cant wait to try this :D
  • NadiaT287
    Options
    thank you GREAT advice! cant wait to try this :D
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Combine fruits and veggires with things you like fruit I'm cerial, pb on apples, carrots dipped in salsa, slice bananas on toast. Some things you may prefer rtaw rather than cooked (like spinach). Put some peas in your pasta or brocoli and cheese. You can do this!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Jerry Seinfeld's wife made a cookbook full of recipes that added pureed veggies to everyday recipes to hide them from her kids (and Jerry) and still get them to eat them. There's all kinds of dishes - breakfast, main dishes, snacks and of course desserts. Most things revolved around pureed veg of some type or other. I forget the name of the cookbook. I had a copy for a while.

And tomato sauce counts as a veg! So if you like spaghetti you can hide all kinds of other veg in the sauce too.
  • terribowling
    terribowling Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! Shoot me an e-mail at terribowling@charter.net and I have the solution you have been needing. Also, look me up on facebook...Terri Lee Bowling. :smile:
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Another whole veg I thought of is yellow squash. I'm not a huge fan of zucchini, so I thought I wouldn't like yellow squash either. But the yellow squash is firmer and sweeter and not slimy like zucchini can be (sorry zucchini fans). I cut it into thick slices, skin on, then quarter the slices and steam them very slightly in the microwave first - then toss them in some various spices and a little lemon juice (or fat free italian dressing) and roast them on my Pizza Pizaz.z (or oven).

Kabobs are reallllly good too if you like grilled things, theslightly smoky grilled flavor and carmelized sweetness... mmmmm ...... so many possibilities too.