A typical day.

Options
So, I'm bigger, I am 225 and 5'7'' almost and I have about 1400 calories to deal with a day and I'm wondering how some of you with 1300 and less deal with it on a daily basis, it just seems like not very much food. For example I had an english muffin with peanut butter and a bowl of cereal for breakfast (I wanted to eat a big breakfast) and I had a frozen meal (not typical) which was 300 calories for lunch and I only have about 450 calories left for dinner...So I'm wondering what you guys do on a daily basis? I feel like once I get down to where I can only have like 1200 calories I'm going to be eating so little. Thank you very much.

Replies

• theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I consume about 1200 a day, but I work out a lot, so I gain some calories back. But on days I don't work out, I'll usually plan out my day before hand with really small meals with few calories. For example, for breakfast on one of those days I'll do a sandwich with egg whites, cheese, and veggies. The bread is about 70 calories for two slices, a slice of low fat cheese is 25 calories, egg whites are 30 calories, veggies are almost nothing. So that's only about 130ish calories for breakfast. Fill up on green tea and water and just try to keep your meals really small with very few calories. And eat lots of fruits and veggies. It won't be easy at first, but eventually you'll feel like you've been doing it your whole life.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Exercise allows for more calories :)
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i used to eat 1500ish... I would just eat throughout the day contstantly. I would drink a LOT of water. It is pretty hard to adjust. but oh well.

working out allows you to eat a lot more. I was able to lose weight eating 2000 while working out
  • montiy
    montiy Posts: 32
    Options
    I echo that...Get into the habit of exercising every day, and you'll "earn" some additional calories that you can use toward dinner and a light evening snack. That's what makes it possible for me!
  • bariachic
    bariachic Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Replace some of your bread and potato items with lean meat or green vegetables. :D Hope that helps.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Eat less calorie dense food so you can eat more. I'm wondering though, if you're trying to lose more than 2lbs a week. If you are then if you taper back to 1.5 a week, you'll be able to eat more.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have 1200 cals on a day when I don't exercise.
    When you cook food yourself you'd be surprised how easy it is to make it low cal :)
    I tend to struggle to reach my goal every day.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a protein-rich, low-carb breakfast, and that seems to fill me up the most while giving me more calories to allot to the rest of my day. If I keep breakfast and lunch around 300-350 calories each, it leaves me with a lot left over for dinner! My daily goal is around 1400, and I don't usually eat back my exercise calories (I'm never hungry enough for that and seem to gain weight if I do).

Planning your meals the day before could greatly help...it will let you play around with calories BEFORE you eat them!

Also, just based on your example from breakfast, try taking out one of those carbs (either the cereal or the English muffin) and replacing it with a protein, like eggs, Greek yogurt, or cottage cheese. A one-egg omelette with meat and veggies is a great way to get a filling breakfast, relatively low calories, tons of protein, and plus it's great to add a serving of veggies in with breakfast!
  • InvictusPheonix
    InvictusPheonix Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    fruits and veggies! i just have a stock of instant 100 calorie original oatmeal packs in my purse for if im hungry (usually any coffee shop will give you a free cup of hot water if you want a quick snack on the go).
    you'd be surprised! especially if when you DO happen to "eat out" if you go for the veggie/vegan options, how many calories you cut out of a day.