So explain to me again why I can't use my HRM

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
while lifting? I wore it the other day when doing my New Rules routine. 15 reps each set, 60 seconds rest between. I was red-faced and breathing hard at the end of each set and hadn't completely caught my breath before starting again. It said i burned 300 calories in those 30 or so minutes. How far off is this from reality?

Replies

• ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to? I'd never heard that. I'm curious to see the answers you get.
  • conradt
    conradt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use mine and usually do between 250-350 cals during a 30-40 min session.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that either. I wear my HRM when I lift.
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'd definitely log that burn if I were you!

I'll be interested to see the arguments against, if there are any.

I think it's difficult to figure out the calorie burn for strength training without an HRM - but with one, why not?
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Different activities burn different amounts of Calories at the same heart rate. What does your HRM manual say about it?
  • kklemencic
    Options
    I use mine when I lift, don't know why you wouldn't.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I wear mine when I lift as well. Today I took a group power class. In 55 minutes I burned 339.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I'm using it RIGHT NOW
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can and should use your HRM with any exercise! :) It's the only way to really know how much you're burning. You burn a lot more with cardio, but that doesn't mean you can't use it with weights.

Go for it!
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I think I read something about the increase in blood pressure you experience from lifting makes the result wrong, but I don't remember for sure.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i wear mine all the time at work and at any exercise

:smile:
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It depends on the style of lifting that you are doing. If you are focusing on strength or power, your HRM is useless. But if you're doing resistance training as part of a circuit or in a cardio fashion, it should operate normally.
  • karots
    karots Posts: 8
    Options
    The reason I can see for the "against using it" is that it will not give you an accurate burn, since you will keep burning after your session. (Depends a little on what type of lifting sure, but in general this is the case). So maybe its a recommendation to not use it because a HRM cannot accurately predict your "real" numbers.
  • deathstarclock
    Options
    Also, HRMs are useless for everyday use. If you wear it all day long, you're not going to get accurate numbers.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    There is some research that it isn't necessarily as accurate for lifting as cardio, but with Polar introducing monitors that actually have specific functions to assist you in getting the most out of your weight sessions, I find it hard to believe it's not somewhat close.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    It depends on the style of lifting that you are doing. If you are focusing on strength or power, your HRM is useless.

But why?
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Do 1/2 your workout, then jump on the treadmill or a rower for about 2 minutes HARD. Then go back and finish the weights, you will be doing your body good and burn 1/3 more calories! Then finish back on the treadmill or rower HARD for another 2 minutes.
  • deathstarclock
    Options
    There is some research that it isn't necessarily as accurate for lifting as cardio, but with Polar introducing monitors that actually have specific functions to assist you in getting the most out of your weight sessions, I find it hard to believe it's not somewhat close.

They must be expensive. I looked up the Polar F55 upon learning this and found that it costs $220. No thanks...
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If it motivate you....use it and count it! I find it very satisfying to log the cals burned. I don't always eat them back but I take credit for it!:happy:
  • deathstarclock
    Options
    It depends on the style of lifting that you are doing. If you are focusing on strength or power, your HRM is useless.

But why?

I'm quoting a book on Heart Rate Monitor Training.

"Lifting weights causes increases in blood pressure, reduces breathing frequency, and requires large static muscle contractions. The result is a blunted heart rate response to an immediate bout of exercise."

Another thing that comes into play is VO2 max and your heart trying to keep up with an oxygen deficit in a short term exercise bout.