Is fast food ok?

Options
If it fits into my calorie and fat/carb/sodium allowance for the day, is it OK to have? Or will it somehow throw me off?

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    The only thing that'll throw you off is the sneaky calories, but if you're aware of em, have at er.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    this site doesn't differentiate between "good" calories & calories from fat (which are really hard to burn off) ..but, you minus well have to live a little every now & then if it's REALLy what you want..
    otherwise, i wouldn't recommend.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, it probably won't throw you off. It would definitely make me feel sick. I find that if I don't eat fast food in awhile, and then have some. I might like eating it at first but then I don't feel so good.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    i eat em...but I incorporate and make changes if need be for the rest of the day..if its planned out..that's great..and just make adjustments..If it helps..I'm still on my path... :wink:
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If my allowances for the day (calories and what not) allow me to have fast food, I will have it. I figured, I'm working out regularly now, and if that small amount of fast food keeps me on track and I'm still losing weight, I say go for it!!! I wouldn't do it often though....it's about retraining yourself to choose healthier food options. good luck!!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I knew a skinny guy once who died of a heart attack at 30 from eating McDonalds food twice every day (and little else,) but once in a while shouldn't be too horrible.
  • Abbey_22
    Options
    Fast food is terrible for you! While sometimes the calories may not be too high, look at all the other crap that's in it. For me personally, it's not worth it. I'd rather make my own sandwich.
  • briansabeans
    Options
    It's fine to eat a couple or even a few times a week as long as your total calories for the day are ok. I've lost over 30 pounds eating McDonalds and Taco Bell at least once a week each.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    How I see fast food. Fast food are foods that a person can get fast. Are they necessary different than food people cook at home? The answer is no. A person can buy a hamburger or make an hamburger at home. A person can buy fries or do fries at home. A person can buy a salad or make one at home. It's a fact that a salad can have the same amount of calories or more than a hamburger, etc. It depends on what you have as a salad, as to how healthy that salad will be.

Food doesn't make a person fat. People make themselves fat. A lot of people don't even know how many calories they are eating from a cooked meal.

So, I'll go with yes. If you want fast food, treat yourself to fast food. Don't let food be the enemy. When food is the enemy, then it will have control over your happiness.
  • ShellBell4281
    ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Every now and again is probably fine. Personally, I *need* some Taco Bell sometimes. I think that giving up the foods you love is fine for a short term diet. If you're looking for a life style change, have the food you love in moderation. As long as you stay within your calorie range, it's fine as long as it's not every day.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Every now and again is probably fine. Personally, I *need* some Taco Bell sometimes. I think that giving up the foods you love is fine for a short term diet. If you're looking for a life style change, have the food you love in moderation. As long as you stay within your calorie range, it's fine as long as it's not every day.

This I agree with! I am a fellow Taco Bell lover and will have it when I crave it, as long as it fits into my day calorie-wise. You have to splurge sometimes!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My bro's diet consists primarily of lower calorie fast food. I don't think he's ever gone a day without eating fast food in the past few months.... He's lost weight successfully and is healthy and strong. I'm sure he'd be even healthier, though, if he cleaned up his diet a bit.
  • kassandra81
    Options
    I can imagine that some fast food items may fit into a daily caloric intake, but is it smart food to eat? I don't think so. I would rather use up my calories on good healthy food. I want to eat/work out smart, not hard.
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    BAD BAD BAD! Avoid it like the plague!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you want some fast food and it fits into your daily allowances then have some fast food. I started changing my eating habits a couple of months before I stumbled onto MFP and the first thing I did was check nutritional info on McDonalds and Wendy's and pick a few items I'd be comfortable eating in a pinch. Do I plan to do it on a regular basis? No, but things happen. It's not realistic for me to assume that I can make everything I eat daily from scratch. It may be so for some people and if that works for them and their lifestyle then good for them. Do what works for you. It's all a balancing act and sometimes you stumble and that's okay. Try something new if that happens. Have your fast food of choice and if you don't feel so well afterwards or whatever then do something different next time.
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you want some fast food and it fits into your daily allowances then have some fast food. I started changing my eating habits a couple of months before I stumbled onto MFP and the first thing I did was check nutritional info on McDonalds and Wendy's and pick a few items I'd be comfortable eating in a pinch. Do I plan to do it on a regular basis? No, but things happen. It's not realistic for me to assume that I can make everything I eat daily from scratch. It may be so for some people and if that works for them and their lifestyle then good for them. Do what works for you. It's all a balancing act and sometimes you stumble and that's okay. Try something new if that happens. Have your fast food of choice and if you don't feel so well afterwards or whatever then do something different next time.

I agree. I still eat fast food but try to get something that isn't going to use all of my allotted calories for the day.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, it probably won't throw you off. It would definitely make me feel sick. I find that if I don't eat fast food in awhile, and then have some. I might like eating it at first but then I don't feel so good.

^ this! I stopped one day last week at Chick fil a and got the 8 nuggets with a medium fruit bowl while in route to a listing appointment. I got this because it was the leadt number of calories. It filled me up, but the food tasted so strange to me it'll probably be a while before I eat that again.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Don't think of Mfp as a "diet" that restricts you from eating certain foods. But do think of it as an opportunity to engage in a healthier lifestyle. If you can find a healthier alternative to a particular junk food that you like (eg air pop popcorn instead of crips) do it! Your body will thank you (even if still the same calories the junk food may have far more fat or sugar for example). Pay attention to nutrients. Don't get me wrong; I'm addicted to junk food and go bingeing sometimes (i usually try to keep these for special events like birthdays, holidays, nice night out etc). Somewhere I read that it is good to remember the 80:20 rule. Yes eat some junk as long as 80pc of eating is wholesome nutritious foods).