What is your NON-eating-related fun thing to do?

Options
Im not talking about exercise (yeah, we are suppose to be doing that).... but... when it comes to preoccupying your hands and your mind to keep you from eating when you shouldnt... what do you do?

I play Bassoon for the university I work for. Im in their adult community band and community orchestra - Im also their secretary to help with their administrative needs (actually its because Im the fastest typer there and they can never keep up with meeting-minutes! LOL)

I also enjoy wood-burning, painting and quilting....

These activities help me to avoid unnecessary eating!

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I posted this here because its a way of sharing with others of the things that take away from being able to eat.... so its a form of support and perhaps a new motivation for someone who is looking for things to do to...

EDIT for: forgot to add gardening.... I LOVE doing gardening every year!!!
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    play with my dogs! Love it and definitely puts life in perspective- NO Stress! :)
  • hd2208
    hd2208 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    cross stitch....keeps my hands busy :)
  • arissamay
    Options
    I use my digital SLR camera to take photos and then spend time sorting through them and picking out the best shots, then sharing them with others. I also play music a lot and sing, but I can't just start doing musical things whenever/wherever I am, so photography is my portable go to distraction - it fits in my purse!
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I like to read, or do a jigsaw puzzle. Those things keep me occupied for hours on end. I also love to practice my piano playing (when there is one available for me to play lol).
  • Biancalee76
    Options
    I really like reading. I'm not too crafty, and before this I loved cooking and baking....now I make homemade jerky and dried fruits.
  • Biancalee76
    Options
    I really like reading. I'm not too crafty, and before this I loved cooking and baking....now I make homemade jerky and dried fruits.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    cross stitch....keeps my hands busy :)

I knit to keep the hands busy! I love reading (I accidently typed "eating" at first, haha) and mindlessly browsing the web-- think Slate, The Stranger, Yelp...

I also love TV, so "Glee," and "Nikita," and newly, "Pan AM."

I also keep pretty busy with a preschooler's schedule. The busier we are the less time I have to eat and the more crucial it is that I plan my meals and pack things for us.

I love these threads!
  • staroftheeast
    staroftheeast Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Read, quilt or sew, play with the dogs, spend time with family & friends. Watch old movies.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Bowling, going tonite. Even though I totally suck at it. Does anyone else really enjoy a sport that they are terrible at?
  • trwilcox
    Options
    i get so lost in books that my parnets have to take the book out of my hands for me to listen.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I love spending time at the beach, living in south FL makes it easy...soaking up the rays, playing in the waves and people watching! I also like watching cooking shows, playing softball and photography.:glasses:
  • cramernh
    Options
    i get so lost in books that my parnets have to take the book out of my hands for me to listen.

Yasmine Galenorn - Otherworld series... I am no longer someone's wife, no longer someone's chef, and I best better have the house cleaned and food ready for my husband to eat because her books DO NOT GET PUT DOWN! LOL!!!!
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I enjoy woohoo.:drinker:
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I love watching movies with my children, snuggled up!! Jogging with friends, I cant seem to do it alone!! Sitting with a good book and just relaxing...

Going to a spa and having a ME day xx

Having a sports massage after a hard time training... Hell Yeah xxx

Getting on this site and seeing what other people have eaten and what they have got up to.. :flowerforyou:
  • cramernh
    Options
    I love watching movies with my children, snuggled up!! Jogging with friends, I cant seem to do it alone!! Sitting with a good book and just relaxing...

Going to a spa and having a ME day xx

Having a sports massage after a hard time training... Hell Yeah xxx

Getting on this site and seeing what other people have eaten and what they have got up to.. :flowerforyou:

OHHHHHHHH Scalp Massage after I have showered after a major workout or from my *kitten* getting kicked at work (Im a chef for a living and running around all the time).... damn near puts me to sleep everytime! LOL!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    n500843481_1920850_2515768.jpg

n500843481_651836_3203.jpg

69369_456251683481_500843481_5388658_7435502_n.jpg
  • Hfxgal
    Hfxgal Posts: 57
    Options
    I like to go for long drives by the ocean. Where I live I am no more than 20 mins from the ocean in pretty well any direction :-)
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I write - not because I crave food, but because I crave writing.
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    Knitting! I always wondered how many calories I burn while I "speed-knit".