Didn't realize how many calories I was consuming...

Options
Wow - I just joined this site 2 days ago and am ASTOUNDED by the amount of calories that I'm consuming! The first day, I 'thought' i as being extremely healthy / not eating as much as i normally would, and was SURE i was going to be under my daily calorie goal for the day - but i was right at it. Then yesterday, i went out to dinner and thought i was chosing wisely, but ended up going over my daily calorie goal by 200! On both days, I was really watching what i ate and trying very hard not to overdo it... with the way things are going, I'm feeling like I've probably been eating at least 50% over my 'goal' number every day before i started this whole thing...i'm shocked!

Did anyone else have this same experience? I always thought I was pretty concious about what i was eating...now I feel like i've been living in a dream world. the thought of eating like this every day just to stay within my 'goal calories' limit is daunting... so much work!

Maybe I'm just not used to this ... does it get easier?

thanks!

Replies

• erinisabel44
    Options
    Wow - I just joined this site 2 days ago and am ASTOUNDED by the amount of calories that I'm consuming! The first day, I 'thought' i as being extremely healthy / not eating as much as i normally would, and was SURE i was going to be under my daily calorie goal for the day - but i was right at it. Then yesterday, i went out to dinner and thought i was chosing wisely, but ended up going over my daily calorie goal by 200! On both days, I was really watching what i ate and trying very hard not to overdo it... with the way things are going, I'm feeling like I've probably been eating at least 50% over my 'goal' number every day before i started this whole thing...i'm shocked!

Did anyone else have this same experience? I always thought I was pretty concious about what i was eating...now I feel like i've been living in a dream world. the thought of eating like this every day just to stay within my 'goal calories' limit is daunting... so much work!

Maybe I'm just not used to this ... does it get easier?

thanks!
  • diegelmansm
    Options
    I does get easier!!! Don't get discouraged. I used to eat so much over my calories, but now i realize that if I pick the right foods, I can actually eat more food and less calories. Also, you start to develope an obsession with this website after a while! Good luck, and keep at it!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey Erinisabe,

Yes, I think all of us who joined this site or just started watching our portions/calories go through that "OMG!" experience when you realize just how much you were consuming.

It really is amazing how many people eat so much more than their body needs. The portions are crazy out there!

When you think about to when McDonalds started....their "meal" was what is considered a Happy Meal for kids these days! The burger was the small, basic burger and the fries were the small, basic fries. Who , in their right mind thought we as humans needed more than that?? And 3 or 4 times more????
    It is truly an eye-opener!

And don't get discouraged....you WILL get it....and it will become easier. Just stick to it...and soon you will be used to eating smaller portions and healthier foods. Think of food as fuel for you body. Don't overfill the tank! :)

Tami
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Oh yes it definately gets easier.
    Just go shopping and load up on fresh fruits and veggies. and for those snack attacks get the 100 calorie packs of chips and sweets.
    I have also discovered Progresso light soups. The whole can is 120 calories and no fat grams. I live on these at work.
    Good Luck, We will help you over the rough patches
  • babyhippo
    Options
    Don't feel bad. After I started keeping track of my calories, I came to the realization that I was a complete HOG before. I don't even want to think about how many calories I was INHALING before I started.:noway:
    The amazing thing is....I'm not hungry now. Tempted....yes. :ohwell: Hungry......no.
    Water is the key.:drinker:

Here's the best part: The grocery bill is less now.
  • yenn
    yenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That's exactly why this site is so valuable !! YES I had the same experience .. and do often still !! Some days you think wow I'm hungry I've been doing well, but oh no, I'm not after all !! Other days I feel fully satisfied with food needs and find out, wow, I didn't eat enough. The body plays tricks on us but this site exposes that !!
  • Mlieb
    Mlieb Posts: 121
    Options
    I does get easier!!! Don't get discouraged. I used to eat so much over my calories, but now i realize that if I pick the right foods, I can actually eat more food and less calories. Also, you start to develope an obsession with this website after a while! Good luck, and keep at it!

I have totally become obsessed over the calorie intake and also feel that I am making MUCH BETTER choices about food.

THe amount of calories I used to eat was BAD!!!! I do not feel that I am starving myself at all. I eat when I get hungry.

However, the only drawback now is when I look at foods, I think of calories...I hope when I reach my target weight that I am less obsessive

Melissa
  • Mlieb
    Mlieb Posts: 121
    Options
    Don't feel bad. After I started keeping track of my calories, I came to the realization that I was a complete HOG before. I don't even want to think about how many calories I was INHALING before I started.:noway:
    The amazing thing is....I'm not hungry now. Tempted....yes. :ohwell: Hungry......no.

My grocery bill is actually going up as I am buying more organic foods and meat.
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options

My grocery bill is actually going up as I am buying more organic foods and meat.

Mine has gone up also. I am finding that you really do have to pay to be healthy. Oh well, being healthy and living longer is worth all the money in the world. HH
  • betterme
    betterme Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I have totally become obsessed over the calorie intake and also feel that I am making MUCH BETTER choices about food.

THe amount of calories I used to eat was BAD!!!! I do not feel that I am starving myself at all. I eat when I get hungry.

However, the only drawback now is when I look at foods, I think of calories...I hope when I reach my target weight that I am less obsessive

Melissa

I truly believe we will always have to think of our calories, because otherwise we will gain the weight back! However, it just becomes a part of you after awhile and not something you have to be obsessed with. You pretty much know after awhile of counting calories how many calories are in things and what better choices are, etc... not to be a drag, but 95% of people gain their weight back, so that's why I have already made the decision to pay attention to my calories for the rest of my life. :flowerforyou:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree on the cost of the diet food is more costly now, being in a very small town there isn't much of a selection and cost is usualy higher then the large cities....so much I am thinking if I would benifet from something like Jenny Graigs. Something that I would have to ask others on here about.:smile:
  • madkat67
    Options
    Something I try to do is plan out my diet the day before - that way I can see ahead of time where I am with fat, protein, calories, sodium and carbohydrates. I also noticed that I'm not negotiating with myself as much as I used to - I don't eat that doughnut and think "...well, I'll just eat less for dinner...". Now, I have a plan the night before and I find that it's pretty easy to stick to! (well, until they brought the cookies into the faculty room! I just chalked up those cookies to a bad day and took the hit when I completed my log for the day - I guess I'll have days like that ) :tongue:
    Hope that helps!