First day at the gym?

Options
I have never been to a gym. If I've worked out it was at home. I can't do the home thing anymore so I joined Snap Fitness for a month for free to see how it is. Its been a week and I have yet to set foot in it. I am super intimidated by just the thought of it. I'm scared I won't know how to use the machines. And I HATE asking for help. I want to go during a time where nobody's there so I won't look so stupid for not knowing how to do anything, but that is probably only at midnight or something. :( Any tips for getting over the fear of the gym...?

Replies

• pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I just want you to know these two things:

1. No one else at the gym cares what you're doing. They're too busy working on their own thing.
    2. 90% of success is just showing up. If you can just get yourself into the gym, the majority of your hurdle has already been conquered.

Another trick: wear your mp3 player. It'll help keep you distracted and not worry about what others are doing. And if you don't know how to use a piece of equipment, ask one of the employees. Hell, that's what they get paid for :)
  • hd2208
    hd2208 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I was a keen gym user a good few years ago but lost a lot if confidence over the years, first day back today and I actually enjoyed it. The equipment is generally fairly easy to use but all gyms should have an induction with a member of staff prior to using machines. My advice would be to go and grit your teetha nd get throough that first session. By going to the gym you are doing something positive to change your life and no one can critisize you for doing this. Go on, do it, you will feel great afterwards. Good luck. x
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I joined Snap Fitness last week and have gone every day and I love it (today is first day off as I know you need to rest otherwise I would be there again!!) In my gym it is pretty quiet on weekday mornings and the staff and trainers have been very good about showing how to use the equipment and proper technique etc. And if you really don't want to ask, there are videos on their website that show proper use of every machine. If the weight lifting machines are intimidating, just go and start with cardio! The treadmills and ellipticals are pretty self explanatory and at least it gets you out there and started. Also I would recommend finding a workout buddy to go with. It helps to hold you accountable for going, makes the workouts more fun with a partner and less intimidating to walk int the gym if you are not alone! Also, if you get a paid membership, it comes with a free one hour session with a personal trainer where they will assess your current level of fitness and help get you started setting up a program to meet your goals. Good luck to you with this. I hope you can get over your fears and learn to love it as much as I do!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Why do you hate asking for help?
    People aren't born knowing how to use the contraptions there.
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I agree everyone is to worried about what they are doing then to pay attention to what you are doing...I was very nervous like you but only because I felt like I was the biggest one..but I learned yesterday from a few ladies that are doing a biggest loser competion at our gym that I inspire them to come to the gym everyday because they know if I can be there every day working my butt off so can they!! Felt pretty good!

Also ask the person at the desk if they or a trainer can help you learn the machines thats what they are there for....they def don't want you to hurt yourself!!!!
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Everyone that goes to a gym was new to it / the machines at some point. So, kick that fear to the curb and get in there so you can get past the initial learning and get busy taking care of yourself. You're paying for it and once you get in there, maybe take some classes - you'll get into routine, etc. Everyone else has provided excellent feedback as well. No more excuses...:flowerforyou:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Nobody is looking at you there, trust me! It takes a while to realize that but when you do it helps!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I went through this as well...now, it's like my 2nd home! Find a trainer or friend to show you all the machines, and then you'll be ready!
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hit the treadmill or elliptical first :) then people observe on the other machines so you know what to do.and if you dont feel comfortable getting on those new machines do it when no one is there :) GOOD LUCK! i know how that feels.I go to the y and i was okay with going swimming but intimidated of the gym and i couldnt see the cardio machines anywhere.so i made my husband go with me!hah
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I started at the gym last week and can't get enough. Don't worry about people seeing you. If I can go work out with no problem at 318lbs then you can definitely go. You're not working out to win over the people at the gym anyway so just go. Do it for yourself. you're the most important person that you can take care of. So I'll say what I told myself last week when I was sitting in the car shaking from apprehension. Get up off your butt and go! You'll like the results.
    Doug
  • astrand1800
    astrand1800 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It is worth it to do one session with a trainer. my gym offered the first session for free and I ended up liking it so much I bought a couple more. It was so nice when i was starting for someone to tell me exactly what to do. The trainer told me how many minutes to do cardio, what heartrate to shoot for, and gave me strength excercises to do 3 x a week. It was idiot proof. Now 4 months later i am comfortable enough to branch out and try new things.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Asking for help is not a sign of weakness. It's a sign that you are strong enough to admit to yourself that at times you don't know everything. Asking for help helps broaden your perspective on life and allows you to do things you may not normally do which in turn gives you more experience in living. Believe in yourself and you can conquer any goal you set. No one will judge you at the gym, they're too busy judging themselves. My experience is that people at the gym go out of their way to help, are happy to assist if asked, and understand the importance of working out. The only goal I've set for myself is to show up at the gym. So far it's been working.