Anyone with Cushings or Adrenal Insufficiency???

Options
Hi! I'm a newbie here. I have had Cushings disease for the past year causing me to go from a size 8 to a size 20. Now it has reversed & I my adrenals have shut down so I have to take steroids everyday to substitute the cortisol my adrenals aren't making. I have no choice...it's take it or die, so I take it. I have had zero energy so losing weight has been very hard. I am so happy I found MFP! I really hope this will help me to get this weight off. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experienced the same thing. Blessings to you!

Replies

• warlocksmistress
    Options
    I had Cushing's until about a year ago - when I had my left adrenal gland removed to prevent the excess cortisol production.

I had the opposite effect though, when I had high cortisol, I lost 50 lbs and was quite underweight and ill. Doctor's didn't quite understand it, but I think it was due to a combination of mental stress and physical metabolic changes.

Now, after gaining back about 45 lbs and then losing another 15, I am at a healthy weight for my height. I just hope it stays that way!
  • LTSally
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I had cyclical Cushing's for 10 years, then pituitary surgery in 2003. A recurrence in 2004, and finally a bilateral adrenalectomy in June 2009. I gained 160 pounds with Cushing's and have now lost 60 of it, so on the right track.

I'm finding it hard to balance my cortef, if I have even a little too much, my weight loss stops. Too little and I get really sick.

I'm glad to find others on here in a similar situation. Its tough plodding through trying to lose weight that you didn't really put on yourself in the first place. I put my first 40 pounds while working out 3 days a week with a trainer.

I'd love to hear more about how you balance everything.
  • Thaea
    Thaea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've had adrenal problems for years, and completely exhausted them over the summer by extreme over-training. You know what helped me? I know it sounds REALLY silly but I went to a naturopath and he gave me herbal adrenal supplements. When I had the worst adrenal exhaustion, I could not stop eating, I felt like I was starving all the time, and I packed on a good amount of weight as a result. As soon as I started the supplements, the hunger went back to normal. I don't know if it'd do any good in your case, but just so you know, it's out there. He used supplements by the company Standard process, and I took the Adrenal Complex. They also make a non-vegetarian supplement called Adrenal dessicated.