Ladies only !!

Options
can you still loose weight on your period ? i know us girls sometimes tend to gain a few pounds from bloating , water weight etc . but if you stick to your diet while on your period will you continue to loose weight ?

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You can certainly continue to lose fat while on your period. However, some women retain enough water to offset the fat loss in pounds, so the fat loss may or may not show up on the scale.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Withchaco's answer hit the nail on the head. The scale never reflects a loss that week for me. But, the following week, I usually go down 4-5 lbs instead of two as my body gets rid of water.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I definitely lose during TOM, but it doesn't show up on the scale until after the witch leaves town. Some of my biggest weeks have been following TOM, though, so I don't that's coincidence since I don't report during (due to putting on 5-7 POUNDS during that time). I always end up a few pounds lower at the next weigh in than I was the weigh in before (meaning I shed my 5-7 and a few more).
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My period is horrible....
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My period is horrible....
  • sweetyJ
    sweetyJ Posts: 25
    Options
    Yep, I ditto previous thoughts. I have been pretty steadily losing about 1 lb perhaps once a week or once every 2 weeks. But just before my period, or the week during, I usually gain or not lose (according to the scale). It gets discouraging, but I usually notice my weight will go back to its normal progress after my period.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Water weight will go up and down for you all month long depending on where you are at in your cycle. It really doesn't have anything to do with your fat burning. But it is the reason your scale fluctuates. That's why weighing yourself every single day can be frustrating. You lose weight all month long, your period doesn't matter. However some people are hungrier before their period and I've heard it told that we crave carbs more then, for some reason. I don't know if that's actually true or not. If I had to go by personal experience, I'd say it was true..
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the biology behind it, but can offer my personal experience.

YES!

I have lost weight during my TOM. I stick to my eating habits and make sure I get lots of cardio in. I don't believe that we are "victims" to our bodies and that the hormones will force us to eat chocolate and get fat... far as I'm concerned, it's just an excuse to cheat.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Yup you can. I lost 1.8 lbs during it this week xD Just keep sodium really low and you wont bloat much
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just want someone to tell me that PMS burns calories!!!
  • tinywithaBIGheart
    Options
    yay:smile: that makes me feel better that i know i can contiue losing weight with aunt flow in town
  • tinywithaBIGheart
    Options

:laugh:
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree! I have lost too, and I don't really have a huge issue with water weight, never bloating or anything like that for me till I started having problems with gluten, once I figured that I don't see bloating anymore with my periods.

It's definitely harder to stay away from chocolate and what not during this time, but I certainly have the choice to do so. And now that I deal with perimenopause, the hormonal fluctuation is all the time and unpredictable, I CAN"T let it control me.
    I can't speak to the biology behind it, but can offer my personal experience.

YES!

I have lost weight during my TOM. I stick to my eating habits and make sure I get lots of cardio in. I don't believe that we are "victims" to our bodies and that the hormones will force us to eat chocolate and get fat... far as I'm concerned, it's just an excuse to cheat.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    When I was kickboxing, I had to weigh in during my period one time and actually cut the last 4 pounds in the last 48 hours before the weigh-in (mostly sweating it out....making weight is all about manipulating water weight). But normally I gain :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If PMS mood swings cause you to run around screaming in rage, and/ or throw heavy objects around, I'm sure that burns a lot!
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I thought that time of the month actually resulted in an increase in metabolism?
  • horizonflight
    Options
    I haven't really kept track to establish a pattern since I really just now started the road to weight loss, but I have noticed that, during this past week during my cycle, I had absolutely no issues continuing to lose weight. However, I will attest to the cravings of chocolate and other easy quick carbs that are a complete weight-loss ruiner. I DO believe it's got something to do with your hormones. Although I haven't done serious research on this, I DID find this article to back my opinion:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56732

Again, I DO believe you can continue to lose weight during your period, but at the same time, the article above gives an explanation for why women have cravings particularly during that period of time AND also tells you what types of foods you could reach for instead during such cravings. Just my two cents! :wink: :happy:
  • SaintOnEarth
    Options
    Well, being the person I am I still opened this topic lol. I know I am not a woman, but I would say your weight loss would still be in effect.. What I personally do is weight myself once a week at the same time (sunday morning).. If you do it this way, your period really shouldn't make a big difference in your over all weight, at most I would assume it would have a 1-2 pound water weight difference.
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    :blushing: laughin so hard im going to pee my pants...thats a whole nother topic!
    If PMS mood swings cause you to run around screaming in rage, and/ or throw heavy objects around, I'm sure that burns a lot!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Most people, if they gain weight, they drop it as soon as their period is done because it's mostly water and such so it's not like you're going to gain weight that stays forever.