Prepackaged Protein Shakes

Options
Do any of these actually taste good? I work in a restaurant and I eat breakfast at around 6:30 am and generally don't get to eat lunch until 2-3 pm depending on the day. I have time for a quick snack or two but that's about it. I see a trainer once a week and he suggested having a protein shake mid-morningish such as Muscle Milk or Muscle Milk Light. I tried that and thought they both tasted kind of nasty. This would be to augment my usual snack of almonds, raisins, granola bars, etc.

So to be clear I'm looking for opinions on the taste of various PREPACKAGED protein shakes. Please do not tell me how it is so much better to make my own from scratch or mix them up myself. I don't have time for that most days and even if I did I probably wouldn't have time to wash out the containers. Please do not read me the litany of the evils of processed, prepackaged foods. If you eat clean 100% of the time, I'm happy for you. I don't. I do eat way better than I used to and that'll have to do for now:)

Replies

• JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Wow you are doing fantastic! I do not know any good tasting protein shakes, but Pure Protein bars are pretty tasty to me. I am a chocoholic and most of them are covered in chocolate. The only problem that I have found on them is excessive gas. I will have one every couple of days now.
  • kate8085
    Options
    I have used the Atkins protein shakes (only the chocolate) and the EAS (again only the chocolate). I hear ya, buddy, I work in a psychiatric hospital and there just isn't any time for me to mix it up myslef. I thought they both tasted good, but the Atkins one definitely was better than the EAS. You can get both of them at Kroger/Walmart. Hope this helps!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Do any of these actually taste good? I work in a restaurant and I eat breakfast at around 6:30 am and generally don't get to eat lunch until 2-3 pm depending on the day. I have time for a quick snack or two but that's about it. I see a trainer once a week and he suggested having a protein shake mid-morningish such as Muscle Milk or Muscle Milk Light. I tried that and thought they both tasted kind of nasty. This would be to augment my usual snack of almonds, raisins, granola bars, etc.

So to be clear I'm looking for opinions on the taste of various PREPACKAGED protein shakes. Please do not tell me how it is so much better to make my own from scratch or mix them up myself. I don't have time for that most days and even if I did I probably wouldn't have time to wash out the containers. Please do not read me the litany of the evils of processed, prepackaged foods. If you eat clean 100% of the time, I'm happy for you. I don't. I do eat way better than I used to and that'll have to do for now:)

The Muscle Milk shakes are okay but they're quite expensive compared to buying a good powder. For instance, I bought the Muscle Milk 11oz cartons for a while and they were about $1.86 per serving. I switched to Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey which is a better quality protein supplement anyway and it costs me about $0.68 per serving. I'm saving almost $20 a week.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I like Special K protein shakes...the chocolate kind. Vanilla is too sweet for me. Haven't tried too many other kinds, though.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking the Eas Advantage Carbcontrol Protein Shake - Rich Dark Chocolate. I put them in the freezer to get them super cold. I've been drinking Eas off and on for a few years, and I don't mind the taste of most of the flavors.
  • GregT44
    GregT44 Posts: 28
    Options
    I use Boost High Protein they are 8oz and have 15g protein and 240 cal . Chocolate or vanilla, they may even have strawberry.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I like the Special K drinks also.

I also wanted to say that when I worked at a busy restaurant as a server, I had a little tupperware type thing (people actually have them for making baby bottles), and I'd put the two scoops of protein mix in there, and I had a sealed cup (tupperware makes great tumblers with lids; I just used my shaker cup) of milk. I'd pour in the mix, shake, and drink. It works almost as well as the prepackaged. ;)
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I appreciate the ideas.
  • kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    Options
    I would recommend Preimum Nutrition High Protein Shakes. Chocolate is the best. They taste great and have 30grams of protein, only 3 grams of fat and 5 grams of carbs.
  • Mark_1971
    Options
    If its practical just take some whey powder in a dry shaker then put water in and drink when required.
    Much cheaper and some great flavours out there.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    100% Whey powder is very good for making protein shakes. Look for something low carb and low fat, with no sugar. Body building has created a huge demand for these supplements so there are a million varieties and a million flavors, and tons of thorough reviews on each one!

I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, which is very delicious and medium-priced. I blend it with milk and peanut butter for a protein heavy but delicious chocolate shake after work outs :-)

Be wary of pre-packaged shakes or meal-replacement / fad diet shakes. There are often marketed towards people who are either lazy, or don't do research on the food they eat. Check the actual ingredients and protein content. For example, many have tons of sugar and not nearly as much protein as they'd like you to believe. I am sure there are some out there that would suit your interests though! Some body building sites might have some good information on these. Many people need their protein on the go.
  • josie575
    josie575 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    EAS Advantage chocolate fudge!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I like protein blitz, it tastes like koolaid. I'm also a fan of Isopure, but we can't get it much around here. As far as milkshake flavors, muscle milk is the only kind i can tolerate, but i've heard other people that love the canned Pure Protein flavors. If it's prepackaged fruit flavors are usually the best bet.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I know you mentioned protein shakes. However I've had the experience that these drinks taste better cold (i.e. they don't taste all that great warm). As a result, I've been trying bars. Clif Builder bars have 20 grams of protein. It's a bit more calories than some of these drinks, but it's better than eating a Snickers bar or choking down something distasteful.