Dog blood

Options
Troll
Troll Posts: 922 Member
so my dog, harley jerked her foot while i was clipping her dew claws and i cut a chunk out of the quick. We have her foot wrapped in gauze, but i doubt shes going to put up with it for long. We got it to stop bleeding but she got it started again. The package with the clippers said to clot with corn starch (which my 3 dogs promptly ate, glueing mouths shut across the board) other that reapplying the gauze (easier said than done, shes like a greased pig when she wants to be) can you think of a less-choking hazard in the middle of the night-fix? also, dont think me harsh by slapping on a bandaid. She never made a sound and i only noticed when she tackled my other dog and blood splattered. Shes hamming it up now, whimpering and limping until we leave the room- then she chases the cats.

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Thank god this isn't a new diet plan...

Sorry, but I have no advice. I was just very, very relieved.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    try some neosporin on it and maybe some benadryl or dramaine to mellow her out

all of which have been okay'd by my vet for my animals if you're concerned with the effects.
  • LillyMosley
    Options

Sorry, but I have no advice. I was just very, very relieved.

I thought the same thing laugh!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm a nail tech. A drop of superglue on that will stop the bleeding. It stings for a minute but then stops the bleeding.
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ouch! We've never had that problem with ours, but we use styptic powder. Cornstarch is supposed to do the same thing. Unfortunately, you need to hold the paw and put the corn starch on it. You need to keep a hold of the paw until you can see the bleeding stop. I know it sucks, but if you don't, your dog will just continue to eat the cornstarch and make it worse.

Best of luck!
  • JRRCLR
    JRRCLR Posts: 353
    Options
    Last time we did that our dog took care of it the best herself. We just put her in a bare kennel and she cleaned it up fine.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to hold their nail in the baking powder for a few minutes. Get them to relax in your lab or beside you & put the baking powder in a measuring spoon (since it's pretty deep) then hold their nail in it.

The dog must lay still for a while to keep from reopening the injury. If that is not possible, take a gauze & apply it, then wrap an ace wrap (most vets use coflex, but people do not usually keep that on hand). It can probably come off in an hour or so. It will heal completely in a day or so, so you may want to keep an eye on it. Good luck!
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to hold their nail in the baking powder for a few minutes. Get them to relax in your lab or beside you & put the baking powder in a measuring spoon (since it's pretty deep) then hold their nail in it.

The dog must lay still for a while to keep from reopening the injury. If that is not possible, take a gauze & apply it, then wrap an ace wrap (most vets use coflex, but people do not usually keep that on hand). It can probably come off in an hour or so. It will heal completely in a day or so, so you may want to keep an eye on it. Good luck!
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Oof - too bad you don't have any silver nitrate sticks! Those suckers work like a charm.

But either way, if you could try the cornstarch again or continue to apply pressure until it gives out on its own.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Try some ice. Otherwise I would just try to keep her where you don't care if she bleeds. It will stop, and she'll be fine - at least till the next time you try to cut her nails and she says, "Nuh-uh, no way!!" :happy: You can buy a product called Kwik Stop (styptic powder) for future reference. :tongue: Whatever you do, don't console her - she'll just play it up more!

!
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If its not too big, super glue the wound shut. Seriously. I do it to myself and the dogs as needed for all minor cuts. My dog blood story...one day I got in the shower. My boxer was sleeping in the chair in the living room. When i got out of the shower my entire house looked like a massacre had happened. Blood EVERYWHERE in every room. She had caught a toe nail in the chair apparently when jumping down and ripped it out. Ugggg! I tried bandages and socks and everything to protect it. And that wasn't a super glue kind of wound. When I called the vet, she laughed at me and said hold a compress on it. Really? Ever tried to hold a boxer still? Anyway, that's my dog blood story and my best advice.
  • NicoleMensigg
    NicoleMensigg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others on the diet idea!!! I was a bit like...WHAAAAT??? Seriously if you have an emergency vet number that is where you need to get your fur baby there ASAP. I don't want to worry you but there can be horrible side effects for cutting their nails to short. If you have something to cauterize the cut then that should work until you can get the pup to the vet first thing in the morning. I really hope they get to feeling better soon!! Sorry the lil fur buddy is hurt.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm a nail tech. A drop of superglue on that will stop the bleeding. It stings for a minute but then stops the bleeding.

Cool! Going to remember that one!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i'm dying.......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, my dear Harley Quinn managed to leave her wrap alone until she quit bleeding. No leakage today, and shes wagging along at a good pace. However, for those of you suggesting to hold her still, she gave me a black eye and busted my lip...making me realize i need to relate a story. We got her spayed, 6 months old and 35 lbs. At home i was told to keep her quiet and given 3 weeks of painkillers, enough to drop a clydesdale. I penned her in a room by moving a sofa in the doorway and took a shower. When i got out, she had eaten the meds, bottle and all, and jumped the sofa. The vet said she would be fine and good luck. Today, she weighs 52 lbs. I doubt benadryl would work, haha! Shockingly, i didnt get as much of her nail as i thought, so heres hoping its alright!