negative net calories

Options
I posted this on my profile but I felt I needed to come to the BIG message board. My net calories are in the negitive...I've eaten fairly well today, but I'm -168 calories, I think. I did a lot of exercise today & used a HRM (with chest strap)

Should I eat something? I am a little hungry, but its after 8pm here. Thoughts? Advice? I'm starting fresh so I don't want to mess up before I start, you know?

Toni

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't let the clock influence your decision to eat as it's not going to matter (meaning if you eat 100 calories at noon vs 100 calories before bed, it won't make a difference all other things equal).

Beyond that, I can't tell you if you should eat or not.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I usually figure if I'm hungry then I should eat something. With that much exercise you could probably use a healthy snack!
  • aliceguy
    aliceguy Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have been in negative territory plenty of times and still didn't feel hungry, drinking a lot of water helps to fill you up.

Try eating say 100gms of turkey or similar before going to bed, that might help any cravings during the night, worked for me

Cheers
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat something. Net calories should rarely be below 1200, and never below 1000. You can have a fantastic naughty snack. Have fun!
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    If you're hungry....please eat...
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Eat!
  • tonid76
    tonid76 Posts: 51
    Options
    Ok I'm going to eat....something healthy!! Thanks for all the advice! & I will try not to let the clock influence me next time ;)
  • LamsieDee
    Options
    usually if I'm not way way under, I drink some chocolate milk or eat a little cereal. this will help you add calories and not be really heavy on your stomach overnite. I allow myself anything within 100 cals either way. this is close enough for me as long as I'm close to the 1200. you can occasionally go close or a little under 1200. but don't make a habit of it. the mfp site will tell you if you aren't eating enough when you try to close your diary for the day.
  • dotty86
    Options
    whoa - EAT! you body will go into stress and hold onto anything you put into it for its instinctual fight or flight response!

maybe have a look at the Jon Gabriel book? - i didn't follow it to a T but is helpful all the same,

but its not worth putting you body under extreme stress as it will just hold all the energy it can :( i would have some nuts, or veg stick and hummus or something that is high in nutrients, natural fats and proteins x
  • tonid76
    Options
    I think I'm going to have a shakeology shake...its only 150 calories and pretty filling. I might throw some fruit in with it and make a smoothie or something.
  • tonid76
    Options
    ok now I am a little confused...googled neg net cals....and people are actually shooting for neg calories. really? seems like that would be hard on your body after a while. IDK maybe its just me...
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    If you are in the negative at the end of the day you are working out too much and eating too little. If you would use this site the way it is designed you will lose weight and not be hungry. Stoke your metabolism to burn calories at a higher rate. I think what you are doing will slow your metabolism and store fat.
  • tonid76
    Options
    I don't normally do this much exercise, so I'm definitly going to slow it down a bit. Thanks for the advice, always appreciated!
  • jussy83
    jussy83 Posts: 26
    Options
    yes you should definitely eat something to keep your blood sugars up and your metabolism, and it'll take away your hungry feeling :flowerforyou: