8 small mushrooms, chopped, 3 ounces
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 tablespoons onion, chopped, about 1 ounce
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
Xanthan gum, optional *

In a medium skillet, sauté the mushrooms, celery and onion in the butter until soft. Add the broth and cream. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat a bit and cook until reduced and thickened, stirring frequently and watching closely so it doesn't boil over. Season to taste.

Makes about 1 cup
Do not freeze

* If you have some xanthan gum on hand, you can very lightly sprinkle a little over the soup just as it starts to thicken and quickly stir it in, adding a little more if needed until the soup gets thick to your liking. You may need to let it stand a minute to let the xanthan gum start to work before adding more. I found that this addition helps to stabilize the soup. Another benefit of adding the thickener is that you won't have to reduce the broth and cream quite as much so you'll end up with more soup for no extra carbs.

Per batch: 873 Calories; 90g Fat; 8g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 9g Net Carbs

This makes a very rich, tasty sauce that would be nice over all kinds of things, like chicken, meatballs, fish, vegetables etc. After adding the cream, make sure you simmer it long enough so that the cream is no longer white and takes on the light brownish color of the mushrooms. If you can afford the carbs, a few more mushrooms would be even better.

Replies

• Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Click to see a close-up

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
    1 batch Dottie's Cream of Mushroom Soup for Recipes
    24 ounces frozen broccoli florets
    8 ounces cheddar cheese

Cook the broccoli until not quite tender; drain well. Mix all of the ingredients and bake at 350º 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Makes 6-8 servings
    Do not freeze

Per 1/6 Recipe: 327 Calories; 28g Fat; 14g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
    Per 1/8 Recipe: 245 Calories; 21g Fat; 10g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This is very nice and creamy. I used xanthan gum to thicken the mushroom soup so I had plenty of sauce. Click the photo to see a close-up. You could cut the amount of cheese down to 4 ounces and I'm sure it would still be good. The counts would be as follows:

With 4 ounces cheese:
    Per 1/6 Recipe: 251 Calories; 22g Fat; 9g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
    Per 1/8 Recipe: 188 Calories; 16g Fat; 7g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Bumped for later!!
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Excellent thread!!! Bumpity-bump :love:
  • simplygreg
    simplygreg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would recommend frequenting the following community:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

One of the links they provide is to this awesome low carb recipe site:

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

I hope that helps.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    I would recommend frequenting the following community:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

One of the links they provide is to this awesome low carb recipe site:

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

I hope that helps.

Acquainted with both. Thanks. That is where the recipes came from...ilove linda's!!
  • Anngetsfit
    Anngetsfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    CREAMY ALFREDO SAUCE WITH ROASTED PEPPERS
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, 3 ounces
    1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers, julienned, about 2 1/2 ounces
    1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    Pepper, to taste

In a small saucepan, melt the butter on medium-high heat. Add the cream then whisk in the parmesan cheese a little at time. Whisk over medium-low heat until the cheese melts. It may take a while for the cheese to thoroughly melt depending on the kind you're using. Stir in the peppers, parsley, garlic powder and pepper. Serve at once.

Makes 4 servings or about 18 tablespoons
    Does not reheat well and do not freeze

Per Serving: 256 Calories; 23g Fat; 10g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs

This is the version that I made to go over my broiled fish. I thought it was pretty good but a bit salty and grainy. My husband thought it was fine and had two helpings. Hopefully using real Parmigiano Reggiano will solve the graininess problem because this is a nice, quick sauce. Click the photo to see a close-up.

UPDATE: I made this sauce again to serve over fish and found that the longer I let it cook, the less grainy it got. I used pre-shredded parmesan cheese again and I guess it just takes a long time to get it to fully melt because of the dry coating they put on the cheese. Be patient and it will eventually melt and get smooth. I've decided that I like this sauce very well.

Here is the original recipe that I based this sauce on:

WILL'S CREAMY ALFREDO SAUCE
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, 3 ounces *
    Pepper, to taste

In a small saucepan, melt the butter on medium-high heat. Add the cream, parmesan and some pepper. Whisk until the cheese melts. Serve at once.

Makes 4 servings or about 10 tablespoons

* I don't recommend using the parmesan that comes in a can. It will be too salty and it doesn't melt very well. I used DiGiorno pre-shredded parmesan and had a little trouble getting it to melt. It was also a little grainy. Next time I will try some real Parmigiano Reggiano cheese for a smoother sauce.

Per Serving: 250 Calories; 23g Fat; 9g Protein; 1.5g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    CREAM CHEESE WHIPPED CREAM
    4 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup heavy cream

Place the cream cheese, Splenda and vanilla in a medium bowl. Beat on high speed 2 minutes until fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. With the mixer on low speed, gradually pour in the cream while beating. Once all of the cream has been added, scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Turn the mixer to high speed and beat until thick and fluffy. The cream cheese helps stabilize the whipped cream and it should stay fluffy for a couple days or more. The cream cheese also prevents the cream from splattering all over the place while beating it.

Makes about 2 cups
    Do not freeze

With granular Splenda:
    Per 1/4 cup: 159 Calories; 16g Fat; 2g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
    Per 1/4 cup: 153 Calories; 16g Fat; 2g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carb
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Protein Pancakes

1.5 scoops EAS Vanilla protein powder (or any you like, this one is the best IMO)
    1/2 cup cottage cheese (I like Friendship 1% whipped)
    3 egg whites

Blend all together (blender or magic bullet works good), make as you would pancakes in a skillet/griddle.

Makes 4 good size pancakes, enough for 2 people unless you're really hungry. :wink:

Whole batch:

Protein: 61 grams
    Calories: 336
    Carbs: 7.5
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    This is good stuffed in Low Carb Tortillas.....

CJACK1'S LIKE VELVEETA RO-TEL MAIN DISH
    2 pounds ground beef
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    10 ounce can Ro-tel tomatoes (tomatoes with green chilies)
    16 ounces cabbage, finely shredded, about 1/2 a medium cabbage *
    8 ounces Deluxe American cheese, diced (not cheese food)

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with salt and pepper; drain the fat. Add the Ro-tel tomatoes, undrained, and the cabbage. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Stir occasionally. Add the cheese and stir in; heat on low until melted then stir in well.

Makes about 6 servings
    Can be frozen

* The recipe originally called for a 10 ounce bag of angel hair cabbage, but I couldn't find that and shredded my own. I decided to use an even pound of cabbage. In the photo below you can see how I shredded mine. Not having seen angel hair cabbage, I can only guess that it would look similar.

Per 1/6 Recipe: 417 Calories; 28g Fat; 34g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

This comes from someone with the nickname cjack1 at Low Carb Friends. This is not fancy food, but is a very easy one-pot dinner. The recipe didn't mention any seasoning so I didn't add any at first because I wasn't sure how much salt the tomatoes and cheese would add. I recommend seasoning the ground beef with the seasonings I've listed or to taste. After eating this dish, I think this could easily be varied with different sauces and vegetables. I may try a variation using an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce, instead of the Ro-tel tomatoes, and add some mushrooms, onions and garlic to the ground beef. A cheesy sloppy joe or Mexican variation might also be good.

If you can't get deluxe American cheese, and must use the individually wrapped "cheese food product", the counts would be as follows:

Per 1/6 Recipe: 407 Calories; 26g Fat; 33g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    When I low carbed, my favorite recipe was spaghetti and meatballs:

1 bag of shirataki noodles (angel hair or spaghetti) = 2g net carbs
    1/2 cup of walden farms pasta basil sauce = 0.5g carbs (1/4 cup has zero carbs)
    2 cloves garlic = 2g carbs
    meatballs (ground beef, seasoned rolled) = 0g carbs

Can serve 2, just split the counts in 1/2

It's a simple recipe. You can add other ingredients, just be sure to include the counts. Also note, that shirakaki noodles remain uncooked and should be added to the sauce after cooking, or just top the sauce and meat over the noodles.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Low Carb Cheesecake

Crust(optional)
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped pecans
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped almonds
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped walnuts
    3/4 cup almond meal (almond flour)
    2 Tablespoons butter (melt in microwave)

Filling
    3 8oz packs cream cheese
    1 cup Splenda
    3 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    8 ounces sour cream

Mix all nuts and almond meal with melted butter and press into a springform pan, trying to line the sides as much as possible about 1 1/2 inches up the sides of the pan, set aside to mix filling.

Start by beating the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Keep the mixer on a low setting throughout the beating and mixing process. Add the sugar substitute a little at a time and continue beating until creamy. Add one egg at a time and beat after each egg. When eggs have been mixed into the cream cheese, add vanilla and lemon juice, Add the sour cream last until just blemded in.

Pour cream cheese mixture into the springform pan. Place on the top rack in the middle of a 325 degree preheated oven for one hour and 15 minutes. If you want a cheesecake with a less brown top, put on the next rack down. Remember not to open the oven while baking, this might make it crack. When time is up, turn off the oven and prop open the oven door... leave in oven for one hour. After one hour, remove from oven. Run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake also, so if it shrinks while cooling it will not crack at that time either. Let cool to just about room temperature before the cheesecake is put into the refrigerator for 24 hours.

Cheesecake without crust
    231.5 Calories; 22g Fat (48.5% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 118mg Cholesterol; 158mg Sodium.

Cheesecake with crust:
    319 Calories; 28g Fat (79.6% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 123mg Cholesterol; 177mg Sodium
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    DEVILED EGGS
    Hard boiled eggs
    Mustard (yellow, Dijon or spicy brown, etc.)
    Mayonnaise
    Dill or sugar free sweet pickle relish
    Chives, minced
    Seasonings (salt, pepper, paprika, Spicy Seasoning Salt, etc.)

Peel the eggs and slice in half lengthwise; remove the yolks to a bowl. Combine the yolks with the remaining ingredients to taste and add enough mayonnaise to make them creamy; beat or whisk until smooth. Spoon or pipe the yolk mixture into the whites; sprinkle with paprika, Spicy Seasoning Salt and/or minced chives.

Quantities and carb count will vary, but figure about 1 net carb for 2 egg halves. An easy way to pipe the filling into the whites is to put the filling in a zipper bag, seal, then snip off one corner and squeeze into the whites.

I also sometimes cook up some crispy bacon and sprinkle on top!! YUMMY!
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    AMY'S SKILLET PIZZA
    2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (see my comments below)
    Garlic powder
    Italian seasonings
    10 slices pepperoni, about 1/2 ounce
    Other toppings of your choice such as sausage, mushrooms, peppers, etc. *

In a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, spread the cheese to cover the entire bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with your seasonings. When the cheese starts bubbling all over, add the toppings. Amy says not to overload the pizza or you'll have trouble later. Once the edges of the cheese start to brown, start gradually prying them up with a spatula. Once the edges are completely browned, and you can get your spatula under the whole thing, slide the pizza out of the pan and onto a plate. Let it stand a minute to allow the cheese to cool slightly and firm up. Cut with a pizza cutter or kitchen scissors into quarters. You should be able to pick this up with your hands to eat it.

Makes 1 serving
    Do not freeze

* You will need to pre-cook your mushrooms and peppers before adding them to the pizza

Per Serving with pepperoni: 230 Calories; 16g Fat; 18g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

This is from Amy's St. Louis Low-Carb Examiner column. Considering how simple this is to make, it's fantastic. I had to guess at how much cheese to use and 2 ounces turned out to be about right. I'm sure it would be even better, and a little thicker, with 3 or more ounces but I don't think I could justify eating that much cheese in one sitting. I think that Amy's looks a little more appetizing than mine and I think the difference is probably because I used pre-shredded cheese. Because of the dry coating on my cheese, the pizza "crust" got a little dark rather than a nice golden color like Amy's. I think that whole milk mozzarella would make a nicer crust than what I used but I'm not complaining at all. This was a delicious snack and really tasted like pizza. The cheese got crusty and brown on the bottom but was melty on the top just like on a real pizza. Even more cheese would give you more of the soft, melty cheese on top but would be overdoing it for one serving. You may be wondering why there is no sauce on this pizza. I think that adding sauce would make this a little too hard to pick up and eat and might keep the cheese from firming up. I really didn't miss the sauce at all. Also, I found that a good way to eat this was to fold each slice in half "New York style". Since this is so thin, folding it gave me a little more to hold onto.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Great thread; thanks for posting! :flowerforyou:
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    COTTAGE CHEESE GELATIN FLUFF
    1 small package diet jello, any flavor
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup heavy cream, whipped

In a medium bowl, mix the cottage cheese and dry jello mix well. Fold in the whipped cream until no streaks of jello remain. Chill well before serving.

Makes 4-6 servings

Per 1/4 Recipe: 269 Calories; 24g Fat; 9g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
    Per 1/6 Recipe: 179 Calories; 16g Fat; 6g Protein; 3.5g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 3.5g Net Carbs
  • violetfire80
    Options
    BUMP for later :)
  • jslmom1
    jslmom1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!!