FRUSTRATED!

Options
So, I have been tracking food super carefully since I joined the site a week ago.I have been wearing my heart rate monitor during every workout so I can accurately log those calories. I have added at least one, usually two, treks down 11 flights of stairs and back up again at work. (Sadly, that only burns 50 calories, but it sure gets my heart rate moving!) Some days I have made bad choices in terms of what kinds of foods I have eaten, but I have *not* gone over my caloric goals.

So... why, why, WHY is the scale inching up??? EVERY morning for the past several days, it is up a little more. And, it used to be that I was guaranteed to weigh at least a little when I woke up than when I went to bed. NOT lately!! (Have not been eating later than usual.)

This is *really* bumming me out! I know that I need WAY more sleep and that can slow or stall my weight loss, but *gaining*?

Grr! I want to scream!

Replies

• bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So, I have been tracking food super carefully since I joined the site a week ago.I have been wearing my heart rate monitor during every workout so I can accurately log those calories. I have added at least one, usually two, treks down 11 flights of stairs and back up again at work. (Sadly, that only burns 50 calories, but it sure gets my heart rate moving!) Some days I have made bad choices in terms of what kinds of foods I have eaten, but I have *not* gone over my caloric goals.

So... why, why, WHY is the scale inching up??? EVERY morning for the past several days, it is up a little more. And, it used to be that I was guaranteed to weigh at least a little when I woke up than when I went to bed. NOT lately!! (Have not been eating later than usual.)

This is *really* bumming me out! I know that I need WAY more sleep and that can slow or stall my weight loss, but *gaining*?

Grr! I want to scream!
  • txladybug41
    txladybug41 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! It's very frustrating. I've been gaining/losing the same three pounds for about a month now. However, with using this site, I'm beginning to tell which foods bring me the least fat, the least calories overall and I am trying to eat more of those foods versus what I did before. I believe with being more diligent with exercise (another of my weak points because of my crazy schedule) I will finally get the scale going down and staying there. It's a matter of really evaluating everything and doing all you can for the better good. Remember this is a lifestyle change and once you incorporate the good foods and the good exercise, you will see results soon enough too. Be patient. You'll get there.
  • maraleigh
    maraleigh Posts: 17
    Options
    I've had the very same thing happening to me. My first week was really good and this past week has been horrible. I've never gone over my calories and I've done some heavy workouts...I chalk it up to muscle mass being gained? I have noticed that my "muffin top" is reducing, But i weigh more today than yesterday, and so on. It's frustrating but keep going. It has to turn around one of these mornings! :flowerforyou: I'm really trying to reduce my salt intake as well as salt makes you retain water, be careful not to take in salt at night. It will make you weigh more in the AM....Good luck and keep on!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

Grr! I want to scream!

first off, why are you weighing every morning? no good can come of it, you're just stressing yourself out.

second, you just started here this month and have lost a pound, throw that into the success pile

third, there are a million reasons you could have gained weight that don't mean anything at all including water retention and stress

and lastly please try to be more patient. My first month at MFP I lost a total of just 3 lbs. And I started off with A LOT more to lose than you did. You're doing fine. relax. :flowerforyou:
  • bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. Although I just joined MFP recently, I started this weight loss journey about 2-1/2 years ago with over 100 pounds to lose. I began by tracking my food every day in a notebook and exercising. Since then, I have lost 75 pounds and had stalled, which is why I signed up here. I thought maybe this would help me track everything a bit better.

I think that if I hadn't had some success already, this wouldn't be quite as frustrating. I know that I didn't gain all that weight overnight and that it will take some time to get it all off. The frustration comes from knowing that I am not going over calories and that I *am* getting a good amount of exercise in and suddenly gaining a bit.

I know that weighing every day is not the best thing for everyone and that weight can fluctuate a bit. I never even owned a scale until I began this journey. But, for me, I have learned that not weighing stresses me out more. I try not to get *too* hung up on the numbers - I am more fit and my clothes fit fine. Once I reach my goal, I think a 5-7 lb. range is fine. I'm just frustrated this moment.

Do, again, THANK YOU for the support and for letting me vent. :wink: